I // First Impression

—  A L A Y A  —

"Aapa,"

I run to the ladies lounge lifting the beautiful lehenga I'm wearing with my hands.

"Please mere baal banaa dein,"
(Please make my hair,)

It isn't heavy or hard to carry at all but acting like a bollywood main lead is my coping mechanism.

And right now I need anything to distract myself from the broken engagement I've not been able to get over in one week.

"Simple sa hairstyle."
(A simple hairstyle.)

Mehmooda aapa looks at me from top to bottom and hopefully mentally curses her brother for breaking up with me.

"Sahi jach rahaa hai tum pe," she gestures towards my lehenga and I give myself a big grin. (It suits you very well.)

Aapa didn't find you pretty, Alaya. She's jealous of the lehenga.

"Aao, baittho."
(Come, sit.)

I sit on the floor, in front of her seat on the charpai and try to blink the tears away.

Marjaane aik hafte se bahe jaa rahe hain, bahe jaa rahe hain. (These little jerks keep flowing and flowing.)

I smile and watch the ladies looking at me.

Fuck yaar.
(Fuck dude.)

I push the tears up and shift the conversation towards Mahnoor aapi.

"Kitni pyaari lag rahi hain aapi!"
(You're looking so pretty!)

I can't wait for her to sign the papers and leave the house.

Ouf, how peaceful it will be, InShaAllah. Poor Nabil bhai will have to bear her for life.

•°●°●•°●°○

"Alishba! Jaldi! Jaldi jaldi banaa do iss se pehle ke baaqi chhaton pe koyi aae."
(Alishba! Quick! Take them quickly before anyone comes up on their rooftops.)

She tsks but takes her phone out.

"Dekha?" I ask, "Mansoobe banaane ka shauq hai, waqt aaye toh mizaaj kharaab kar ke baitth jaati ho."
(See? You're fond of making plans but you spoil your mood when the time to act on them arrives.)

"Jaldi!" She yells, and I quickly swirl in my lehenga. (Quick!)

I plead her to take longer clips and when she gets sick of me and leaves, I take my phone out to make a full reel right at the moment.

How aesthetic, Alaya. Chef's kiss.

Subhan really does have a shit taste. He'll regret this his whole life, InShaAllah.

•°●°○°●•●

I watch Mahnoor aapi signing the Nikkah papers and although I mentally thank God, a sluggish fountain does, nevertheless, make it's way down my cheeks.

I raise my head up wiping the tears away but my eyes land on Subhan's, who's watching me intently.

I didn't know he was going to be here.

Why would he be here?

I see his whole family in the big spacious room, watching Mahnoor aapi repeat the acceptance three times.

I don't intend on leaving but my body makes it's way out past everyone when his look becomes unbearable.

I hear footsteps behind me as I walk to the drawing room and my eyes open up wide when I turn to see him.