Chapter 26

In that moment, I felt like my world was over. I hung up the phone and jumped in the car the Carole already had started. We took off to the hospital not saying a word. When we got in, I sprinted into Carrie's arms. It looked like she had been crying for a while.

        "What happened? Is he going to be okay. Please tell me he's okay and this isn't serious." I felt like I was going to have a panic attack. I wanted to cry, but I couldn't. I couldn't breathe. I needed someone to tell me my little brother was going to be okay.

        "When Carrie and I woke up this morning, we heard Zack crying so we went in to check on him." Mike started. "He didn't look good at all. He was throwing up and very very pale. at first, we thought it was the flu, so we cleaned him up and brought him downstairs to keep a eye on him. Then, it kept getting worse so we came here. The doctors think it's meningitis, but they aren't for sure yet." 

        "What does that mean? Is meningitis cureable? Is he going to be okay?" I asked as I went to sit by Mike.

        "Meningitis is an infection in the spinal chord and a part of the brain. It is very hard to treat so we need to pray a lot." Mike said.

        Carrie had gone back to her place on the other side of Mike and continued crying. I pulled my knees up to my chest and tried to breathe. A couple minutes later, a doctor came out to the waiting area.

        "Zachary Fisher?" He said. All of us stood up.

        "Stay here Grace." Mike said.

        I nodded and sat back down with Carole. I watched as Carrie and Mike talked to the doctor. Carrie started crying harder and Mike wrapped his arms around her. I took that as a bad sign. They finally came back over to me.

       "Grace..." Mike said with tears starting to fall down his face. I didn't need to hear anymore. I knew my worst fears had been confirmed. I nodded and let the tears fall. "Do you want to go say goodbye?" 

        I stood up and followed Mike and Carrie back to a room in the NICU. I walked halfway in before I stopped. I saw him lying there, so tiny and helpless in the incubator. I slowly made my way over and sat down on the stool next to him. I layed my head on the plastic and looked at my beautiful baby brother.

        "I'm sorry Zack. This shouldn't have happened to you. You were the sweetest little boy. I'm so sorry you never got to take you first steps or say your first words. I'm going to miss you so much. Thanks for being the best little brother I could ever ask for. I love you more than anything in this world and that will never change. Goodbye Zack."

        I stood back up and managed to walk back to Carrie and Mike before completely losing it. I fell down on the floor in front of them sobbing. Mike silently picked me up and walked us out of the NICU.

        We got to the car and Mike layed me down accross the backseat. The only noise in the car were my loud, uncontrollable sobs. The car turned into our driveway and Mike carried me out and put me on the couch inside. Carrie came over and put my head on her lap and started stroking my hair to try to calm me down. 

        "Just let it all out baby girl. We're here for you." Carrie whispered to me.

        I cried for hours in that same spot. Neither Carrie nor I moved once. She stayed stroking my hair as I slowly fell alseep.