Chapter 18

I didn't know where I was running to, I just ran. I felt like I was back where I started, running away from my problems. I heard Mike running behind me but I didn't stop. I ran around the house and up the big hill in the backyard to the barn. I sat down on a hay bale in the barn and pulled my knees up to my chest.

"Grace? Grace? Grace can you come out so we can talk? Please?" Mike said.

I heard him come into the barn and sit by me on the hay bale. I put my head on my knees and sighed. "I'm sorry." I said softly.

"Don't be. I understand that happened fast. I just wanted to make sure you were okay." He said as he wrapped his arm around my shoulder. "Sorry I'm not really good at comforting people."

"It's not that I don't want to be adopted, I do, it's just that, I feel like I'm leaving something behind. Like I'm losing a part of me. I'm not ready to lose that part of me." I said as I picked my head up and put my feet back on the ground.

"Mike? Grace? Are you guys okay? Where are you?" We heard a worried Carrie yell.

"Uh-oh. Now We've got her worried." Mike laughed and stood up. I stood up too and he pulled me into an awkward hug. "Don't feel pressured into making any decision. This can wait." He said.

We walked out of the barn and met Carrie and Zack at the bottom of the hill. "Oh thank God."
She said pulling me into a hug. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm just fine." I said looking at Mike and smiling.

"I'm so sorry baby. That was such a bad idea. I-" Carrie started.

"It's okay, Carrie. I just needed a minute to process everything." I looked at Mike, then at Carrie and Zack. "I-I mean we are ready for this. We are ready to be adopted." I said smiling from ear to ear.

"You're sure?" Mike asked.

"100% positive." I said confidently.

"Oh my gosh." Carrie said crying. "I can't believe this is happening. I love all of you so much."

"I love you guys, too." I said to my new family.