SIXTEEN

Take my heart, pull it apart

And take my brain, or what remains
And throw it away, cause I've grown tired of this body

❁ ✽ ✾ ✲ ❈ ❃ ❦

"PANDORA! KAT, STEP THIS WAY," Doug said as the two of us walked towards the entrance of the gymnasium for the Love Ball, "I must say, you two are a vision."

"Thanks, Doug!" Pandora smiled at him.

"Where are your beaus?"

Pandora gave him a confused look, then pointed out the bow on her dress, "Here, silly. Kat, isn't a fan of them, however."

"No, your beau... Your boyfriends? Your escort."

I opened my mouth to speak, but Pandora went ahead and continued on, "No, I tried escorting, I didn't like it... So, I'm getting myself to a nunnery, you know. No boys, no way, no how... They're idiots, I've had it!"

"Oh, dear... In that case, would you allow me the honor of a dance... Let's get this party started, shall we?"

I cleared my throat to finally speak, "I am actually going to go see if Emily and them are here yet," I said with a smile, "You two have fun." As I went back out the doors, I noticed JJ and Freddie standing out front, Emily and Katie were standing with them, but at a distance, "Hey," I said with a smile as I got closer.

"You actually showed up?" Katie asked, watching as I stood next to Freddie, "I'm surprised."

"Showed up for Panda," I told her, before I looked at Freddie, "Surprised any of you actually showed up."

"Here," JJ handed Freddie a water bottle, then handed one to Katie.

I watched as Freddie took a sip, quickly making a face, "Jesus, what is this stuff?"

"It's dad's potato moonshine... He went on a distill anything course, use it for weedkiller mainly," I watched Freddie spit it out as JJ said this, "What's sit like?"

I took it from Freddie, sniffing it before I took a small sip, "Jesus," I coughed, "That will burn your insides."

Freddie looked down at me, "How are you feeling?"

"I only took a sip, Freds," I laughed.

"No... no, after last, uh, last night."

"Oh, are you serious!" Katie blurt out after hearing him say this, "Can't you just keep it in your pants, Freddie?"

"I'm fine, Freds," I said softly, ignoring the raging girl next to us.

Before I turned back around to go back inside, I noticed Naomi walking towards us, "Oh, is this some sort of weird fivesome?" She said as she came to a stop, "Look at you, JJ, suave!" JJ awkwardly looked down at his suit, then back over at Naomi, "Well, it should be fun, Emily's great in the sack, isn't she, JJ?"

I shouldn't of chose to give JJ's dad's moonshine another try at this moment, because the liquid in my mouth came spraying out as I heard Naomi say this, my eyes growing wide, "No fucking way," I said in between coughing, "What?"

"Um, yes..." JJ said sheepishly, "I mean- wait, I mean... Oh, bobbins."

"Naomi, I wanted to tell you," Emily told her.

"Yeah? But you didn't, did you, love? So, if you'll excuse me."

We all watched Naomi walk past us and into the gymnasium, "Christ!"

"Right," Katie said with an eye roll.

I watched as Katie walked into the school next, and Emily shortly after, "Definitely not shagging tonight, then," JJ commented.

Freddie and I looked at him, "No, JJ," He said as he shook his head, "Come on, they're girls, they always kiss and make up."

I raised a brow, "Well, one can only hope," I said before I started to walk into the dance with them.

Once we were inside, we kind of just stood in the back, avoiding any socialization, I noticed Pandora was dancing right up front, not a care in the world. Little time passed before Katie and Emily came barreling in, screaming and shouting, the two of them falling onto the floor, Emily on top, her fist raised, "Girls, girls!" I heard Doug shout.

"Get off!" Katie shouted at Emily.

Emily lowered her fist, she ended up standing up before she helped Katie up, "Kate, I can't stand this," She said, "I'm a person, I'm not you!"

Katie was silent for a moment, everyone was gathered and watching as it all unfolded, "I know," She spoke quietly.

"You have to understand, Katie. I love you and I'll never really leave you. But, I can't fix this, I like girls..." She paused, "No, I like a girl... No, I love her, okay?" I watched as she pointed out Naomi, "I love her, okay?"

Katie hesitated, but then she nodded, "Okay..."

"That takes balls," I said to Freddie, he nodded in agreement.

Then I noticed Thomas walking over to Pandora, who was in tears, "Pandora," He said to her.

"Please, can we start again? I promise- I promise..."

"Hello, I'm Thomas... So glad to meet you."

I let out a shaky sigh, "Fuck," I turned around and walked out, wiping tears away from my eyes as I sat down on the stairs outside, I couldn't help but feel overwhelmed; all the talk about love and all the making up.

"Kat?" I heard Freddie say, his footsteps growing closer, "Are you okay?"

I didn't look at him, I just felt the empty space next to me be filled by him, "No," I finally wasn't lying, "I think I'm sad. Maybe I'm angry."

"Oh... About him?"

I nodded, "Yeah. About him."

"He hasn't called?"

I shook my head, "No, nothing..." I felt Freddie put an arm around my shoulders, pulling my body closer to his, "I feel stupid for wishing he would."

"If I'm going to be honest-"

"I rather you not be," I laughed through my tears.

"I was just going to say, I don't think he can stay away from you."

I furrowed my brow, "What does that mean?"

"He changed when he met you, in some weird way, I mean, don't get me wrong, he was still a total fucking shithead with no respect for anyone or anything, but, I can tell he cares about you at least."

"That's stupid."

"What's stupid?"

"Caring for me."

Freddie shook his head, "I don't think it's stupid."

"Why me? Why'd he choose me?"

Freddie tilted his head to rest against mine, the two of us staring forward, "No offense," He started off.

"Offense already taken."

Freddie laughed quietly, "I was just going to say the two of you are pretty similar in some weird way. Not exactly, but close enough."

"I don't exactly know what you mean by that, but I think I agree."

Freddie let out a small sigh, "I think if you tried hard enough you could change him for the better."

"He doesn't want that, you know," I rested my hand against his as we spoke; not in a romantic way, more like a platonic, I need support right now kind of way.

"I think you should still try at least."

"If he ever comes back."