09 | a strange bond

I woke up groggy the next morning, not wanting to work at all. In fact, for the first time in my life, I felt lazy! I snapped the thoughts out of my head and got up from the mattress that was in the bedroom of the shop.

Charles got me the mattress to make sure my nights were comfortable. He said I needed a good rest to function throughout the day. He deeply cared about me, which was pretty obvious. But something told it was more of care - perhaps affection? I don't know.

I lifted my torso-long blond hair into a high ponytail. The tresses of my hair were locked into tangles which really irritated me.

I got of my bed, scampering off to the washroom. Just as I got out, I heard knocking on the door of my shop, which got me startled. Did he have to come so early? I groaned, and walked to the door. I unlocked it and opened it for him. "You're back so early..." I moaned not wanting him here. Charles let out a light chuckle, "Compliments for being my friend." He entered inside and observed the room.

The shop was mainly cleaned, but the empty room with about five tables and chairs surrounding them, really needed more to them. The room was bland; no doubt - it needed a makeover and that's why Charles was over today. He wanted to help me find a good wallpaper design or paint so that we could change the whole look.

The room had distinct characteristics though; the wooden floor combined with the white walls. The fair amount of sunlight coming into the room was granted by the windows on either side of the room and the door, which had airy window panels, emphasizing the modern structure... even though the shop was pretty old. It had a modern touch.

"So, are you planning to stand here or come shopping for some paint and accessories?" Charles asked, snapping me out of my trance."Alright, alright," I assured him, "but first I want some breakfast. I'm going to make some coffee. Care for some?" I asked him. I was pretty hungry, but I guess coffee in the morning would do.

"Sure!" Charles replied. He definitely looked stunning today. His dark blue shirt clung onto his muscle-full body. He walked towards me, where the kitchen was, "Care for help?" He thoughtfully asked, but I replied a 'no' to him. Charles just stood around, constantly texting on his phone.

Just as I finished making the coffee, I handed a mug to him, and taking my own mug into my hands. I took a sip of my coffee internally sighed.

Mmm...

"This is amazing, Char!" He complimented me, earning a blush from me. I then, furrowed my eyebrows, "It's just coffee, Charles." I said, and then quickly finished off my beverage, soon, Charles was done too.

Once we reached 'Home Depot', we decided that we'd settle for a melon orange, which was a quite cooling and relaxing colour. "This is an awesome colour!" I exclaimed to Charles. He chuckled, and then nodded in agreement.

Our long drive was then to Crate and Barrel. No. Way.

It was way too expensive! How was I going to afford that? I wasn't going to let Charles pay for everything! "Stop, Charles." I said uncomfortably. "What?" He asked in confusion, clearly not getting why I was so uncomfortable about.

"Do you know how costly this place is?" I asked him in a 'duh' tone.

"Yeah. " He said shrugging it off.

"And I can't afford that... Do you have any idea what I've-" I was cut off by Charles putting his hand over my mouth. It wouldn't be decent spitting on his hand so that I could emphasize my point, so I just sat still waiting for Charles to speak.

"It's on me." He assured me gently, "I want to do this for you, Char. You're my everything. I want to assure you that I've grown so attached to you - and well - I'd just do it... I'm not good with feelings..." He said shying away, which noted - was the first time. He looked so cute!

I chuckled as he spoke, "Alright, babydoll. Anything for you..." I smiled sweetly. Charles gently took his hand off my mouth, which he used to cover it up with.

"Let's get inside." I insisted. Charles just nodded.

When we got inside, the decor, straight up, was fascinating. The exquisite pieces of furniture went for a pricy amount. "Now," Charles directed, "we should look for any colours that are similar tints of orange, and maybe we should have an accent colour of... Green?" He suggested. I simply nodded. He knew a lot about colours, hey, I did too though! I watched the show, 'Colour Confidential' on the W Network on weekday mornings. I learned a lot about the colour wheel and all.

We continued looking when Charles called me over to admire many types of cushions that would go well with a few accent chairs we decided to buy.

I was still uneasy on the prices though.

However, I couldn't deny his offer, which would make him feel bad. He already expressed his affection towards me, pleading his heart out not to say no. Ugh, why did he have to be so convincing.

We ended up buying two accent chairs, two accent pillows, and lots of accessories. Some of them consisted of glass vases, picture frames, table cloths, napkins and extra cutlery.

Yes, damn, that was a lot. I couldn't say no though. I was perplexed by his actions to buy so much for me, especially at the high costs. We walked up to the cash register and bought our items. They'd be delivered tomorrow night, and since Charles paid an extra fifty dollars, there would be designers setting up the shop... like a professional touch.

"Let's grab lunch, get home and start our painting project." Charles enthusiastically ginned.

We did as he suggested.

When we got to the shop, we emerged into the work. While I was working, Charles turned to me while painting the wall and dipped his hands in the bucket of paint. I didn't know obviously - until he came turned to me calling my name as I blindly agreed.

He suddenly smeared paint on my cheeks causing me to squeal and yell his name, "Charles?!" I yelled him and scoffed, trying to get the paint off my face. "You're going to get it!" I warned him, dipping my hands into the bucket full of orange paint and showing him my hand.

"I'm warning you Charlotte, it's going to be bad..." He said continuing but I immediately pounced onto him and spattering the paint on his face. He fell to the ground with a hard thud. Charles never gave up... until I took my whole brush and painted his hair while he struggled.

And that's why you never mess with girls, kids.