13 | cats and crushes

          It was just another day. No one had come in for two days and today was the third day that my shop opened. I walked around with absolutely nothing to do. My regular strides around the shop became so regular that I was getting bored.

I made myself some lunch and washed the dishes. I have a brother. I felt so belonged to this place now. This world.

My brother - an elder brother who is three years older than me has found me. And what's bigger is that he cares as much as I do. I feel so radiant.

My thoughts trailed to what Charles said yesterday about showing me something. What did he want to show me? Was it a big surprise? Perhaps he wanted to show me something of mom's or dad's. Nah, that couldn't be it. Then what could it be?

Just as I close the tap that was running with water, I hear a bell.

Wait. A bell! The bell to the door opening! My jaw drops when my mind process quickens. Was it a customer? My first customer?!

I turn a full hundred and eighty degrees to see who it is.

"I'm here!" Amanda announces aloud. I roll my eyes.

I genuinely smile at her. "Hey, Amanda. What brings you here?" I ask. Maybe she wanted to have a cup of coffee? I instantly started making a cup of coffee for her to drink. "Well," Amanda starts, "I thought I'd tag along to get a glimpse of you. It's been so long!" She dramatically raises her hands in the air. I chuckle which causes her to chuckle too.

After making the coffee, I pour it into a mug and hand it to her. "Why, thank you." Amanda says in a posh British accent. We both laugh.

"So what did you do when you found out Charles is your brother?"

"He said his side of his story and I said mine. It was quite awkward because then we didn't know what to do after hugging. So I offered to make dinner for him. Charles agreed." I explain shrugging my shoulders, "It felt good to have a brother you know?" I ask in daze. Amanda nods, "Yeah. I really want to meet him. He sounds like a sweet guy." She gushes. I roll my eyes, "Please, save that for later." I joke. We burst into laughter.

Ah, good times.

"Amanda, can I ask you something?" I asked her after an hour of our conversation. Talking to her was a change. It felt so good to have a friend who understands you head to toe, mind to soul and heart to heart. Cheesy, eh? Well, it was so true!

"You already did." She points out jokingly. We both chuckle, "Sure." She answers.

"Do you want to work together?" I ask her. We could be partners. I want to spend some time with my best friend since we barely see each other. Working together and getting money at the same time sounds like a good idea.

Amanda goes into thoughts, "I'd love to but it'd conflict my shifts with my other job at Subway." Amanda answers.

"Oh..." I realize. She can't do double duty. It would be way too difficult and tiresome. "It's okay!" I assure her. Amanda smirks, "I'm kidding!" She laughs.

Oh. I laugh along with her. "So what are you going to do?" I ask still unsure. Amanda smiles, "I'm going to quit."

My eyes widen, "Quit?! Gee, Amanda I don't know if I can assure you a high salary! Don't quit for god's sake!" I panic when she tells me she's going to quit. Amanda's crazy! What about her salary? Sure, I'd love to pay her, but what if I don't get any customers like the past two days? How can I give her money?