La Presumida

"Why don't you like her again?" Your best friend, Kali, asks, gesturing over to Isabela Madrigal, the girl you hated with a passion. You glare at her, she always thought she was perfect. She always dressed in new clothes, wore the most expensive fragrances, and used little to no makeup, since she was blessed with a face without blemishes. And to top it all off, she came from a family who all had magical powers. The town adored her and treated her as if she floated down from heaven.

"She thinks she's all that just because of her family, she's always on and about everywhere." Kali glances over at her, "Her family is cool though, her mom fixed my broken arm, remember?"

"I don't have a problem with her family, I just have a problem with her." Kali rolls her eyes, "Come on, don't be like that, you still think she's pretty." You scoff, "I never called her ugly."

You couldn't pretend that she wasn't, she was beautiful. But you really did hate the way she acts. The smug smile she would wear on her face most of the time. You never liked smug people, you always found people who thought too much of themselves annoying.

Kali's parents are family friends with the Madrigals, so she was friends with Isabela. She tried inviting you whenever her and Isabela hung out, but you always opted out just knowing Isabela was going to be there.

That's why Isabela was brought up in the first place.

Kali's sister was having her quinceanera, and she's been trying to convince you to go for weeks. But she made the mistake of telling you that Isabela was going to be there. And just like she expected, you said no.

"Come on, she's not gonna be right next to you the whole night, the rest of her family is gonna be there too."

You groan, "Ya te dije que no. You know how la fresa likes to steal the show. She's probably gonna make your sister's night about her." Kali rolls her eyes, "Ándale, no seas terca."

You sigh, "Fine, but don't give me shit when I start drinking."

"Borracha." Kali mutters under her breath.

-

You watch people dance to the music, content with sitting down and watching. You never liked to dance alone, always having a partner for the night. But Kali didn't like to dance, mostly because she didn't know how.

"Ay, mira como baila Isabela!" Kali chuckles, watching how effortlessly Isabela dances the fast-paced song with her Tio Felix. He spins her around, and she moves her hips to the rhythm with ease. Kali snaps her fingers, "She needs to teach me how to dance like that."

You scoff, "Of course shes great at dancing! She's at every single party dancing. She never misses one."

"You're just mad because your mom would never let you go to parties."

You click your tongue, "Kali, my mom doesn't care if I go to parties, I just choose not to go."

"Then why are you complaining? Just go dance, damn." She points at the speakers, "Look, the song is about to end, go in."

You shake your head and grab your shot glass, "I'd rather drink, it's Saturday anyway." You throw your head back as you drink and Kali slaps your arm, "You already drank like three or four of those, pinché borracha. You know I hate hypocrites." You roll your eyes, "How am I a hypocrite?"

"You're always talking shit about Isabela dancing at every party when you're always out here drinking with your cara de chucha. What's your problem with her anyways? You still haven't told me." You shake your head, "Nothing important, I just can't stand her. She annoys the fuck out of me."