maybe I don't want heaven

Growing up Mason Leeds was raised a good catholic.
He would sit quietly through the Sunday services and never speak bad about the lord. But then again Mason also didn't believe in the devil.

The thought of burning in purgatory waiting to be redeemed just because he sinned one too many times didn't sit well with him.

"The old God, the one who flooded the earth and banished his most precious creation from paradise because of one apple, would have us be dead just like that", he announced one day dismissing the idea of a forgiving Lord all together.

He didn't believe a God needed time to think about where we'd end up. He already knew that long before he created us.

So the youngest of the Leeds children decided God is a hypocrite if he doesn't just either erase him or take him into his home. Same went to the tales of the devil. Nothing but a scary bad time story.

At least that's what he thought for most of his preteens and the beginning of high school. Of course his mother would have scoffed:
"I told you so!" if he had told her he saw God's very own Morgenstern wandering around the Hallways in school.

But she passed a while ago leaving him to hope his prayers for her soul were being answered. His mother wouldn't deserve a fiery pit he doesn't believe in, nor for her to be erased like an ugly line made with a pencil.

But the young man soon realized also that if Daniel Avery was the Morgenstern, he fell from a very high grace into the purest darkness just by looking at him.

If Mason was the light then Daniel was the darkness. The problem with light and shadow though is that before the darkness overfell heaven there were Angels shining with light and every angel has to be turned bad in order to lose its light.

Mason was sure Daniel was just like the angels. He was Lucifer before and after he got cast out wandering the hallways carrying a heavy burden.

As time passed he more and more felt like he was falling as well. Each passing day made him think of his Morgenstern as the forbidden fruit.

A great persuasion and the snake in the garden of Eden. He didn't mind for when he first laid eyes on the handsome stranger he was already intoxicated.

It wasn't even a special first meeting. Daniel Avery casually leaned back on the brick wall of the school building asking the younger for a lighter, cigarette loosely hanging from the corner of his full lips.

There was no "Hello" or a smile, just a slightly annoyed scottish boy wanting to get a good smoke. Yet the way he looked Mason in the eyes, his greyish blue eyes piercing through the laters honey ones burnt itself into the young man's mind...
Daniel never left his gaze as he finally was handed the lighter to light up the tobacco stick.

Over the course of a few weeks they would get closer, starting each day with Mason watching as Daniel smoked his cigarette.

In class they would sit next to each other and sometimes they would be alone in the back of a car.

Talking about anything they could think of —just never Daniels' family. Mason had not been surprised when the handsome male -which he came to care about a lot- showed up in front of the small apartment he shared with his father, requesting they both take a cab to the next city.