April Foolishness

Sophie wasn't surprised when she narrowly avoided a bucket of glitter being poured on her head. Not was she startled when she opened her locker and was splashed in the face with a jug of lushberry juice. Ever since she'd accidentally told Keefe about April Fool's day in her first year in the Lost Cities, he'd never missed it. Not a single time.

The first year had been the worst. Sophie hadn't been careful enough, and had returned home covered in paint and pastries, her backpack filled with sparkly alicorn dung. Slowly Keefe had begun to take it slightly easier on her, pulling pranks like leaving curdleroot stinkbombs in her room and changing her eyes to a bright teal – "So you can finally fit in with your future husband's family," he'd joked – but he'd regretted that one when the two finally confessed their love for each other.

And now, in her fifth year in the Lost Cities, Keefe's pranks seemed rather unimaginative. Sure, he'd never used glitter or lushberry juice before, but that didn't make it original.

Sophie had become so confident that Keefe's pranks had calmed down, that she barely checked the doorframe for booby traps before entering her room. What a big mistake that had been.

Keefe was standing in the middle of the carpeted room, leaning against the bed, a mischievous grin on his face. He pointed upwards mysteriously. Sophie's gaze followed the direction in which he was pointing, shocked by what she saw.

Mistletoe.

Lots of chocolate-dripping mistletoe.

"You are insane!" Sophie tried to hold back her laughter, but it was nearly impossible. She had to admit – of all his pranks so far, this one had to be the craziest.

Chocolate rain dripped all over her as Keefe wrapped his arms around her waist. "Indeed I am," he replied, smiling. "And you love me for it."

It was when he kissed her that Sophie deemed this April Fool's prank the best one she'd ever experienced. Or, it would have been, if he hadn't shoved a huge plate of mallowmelt in her face moments later.

"April Fool's!"

"You're dead to me."