The Fallen Pine Tree

HUMAN AU

Sophie glanced around nervously, surveying the damage around her. The huge tree was sprawled all across the sidewalk, the tiny colored lights shattered on the cement. Some branches had snapped off during the tree's epic fall, and Sophie's knees still stung from her tiny fall. Or maybe not so tiny. After all, she had brought down an entire tree along with her.

People were staring, she knew. The bodies covered in colorful knit yarn stopped moving just to gawk at Sophie's blond hair, brown eyes, and fogging breath, along with the splintered pine tree lying before her.

She spotted Stina Heks in the crowd, her phone out, and she faintly heard the sound of a camera snapping.

Great. Juuuuuust great. Now she'd never hear the end of this.

Sophie sighed. Maybe she deserved it. After all, it had been her own fault for not watching where she was going and tripping over her own two feet. Or maybe it was G-d's fault, for making her so clumsy, but even then there wasn't much to do.

"Woah, what happened here?"

Sophie whirled around. A boy who looked slightly older than her with messy blond hair and ice blue eyes stood behind her in a thick black aviator jacket, a questioning look on his face. She could immediately feel her face heating up, but failed to find the reason. She hoped from embarrassment.

"I, um... tripped," she admitted, rubbing the back of her neck. "And... so did the tree."

"Wait, a walking tree?" the boy exclaimed. "This I gotta see."

"No, no," Sophie shook her head. "I tripped over the tree."

"You don't look that tall."

Sophie groaned, covering her face with her hands. "The tree came down with me. I hit it as I tripped."

The boy smirked. "Aww, but that's way less cool." Then he held out his hand for a handshake. "I'm Keefe."

Sophie hesitated for a moment, before fitting her hand in his. "Sophie," she replied, as he shook her hand.

"Need some help over there?" Keefe asked, tilting his head to get a full view of the crashed pine tree.

"There's not really much we can do. It kind of... broke."

"I can see that," Keefe began rummaging around in his backpack. Then he pulled out a small tube. "Good thing I always carry around a bottle of super glue!"

Sophie wanted to ask why, but she realized at the last minute that maybe she didn't want to know. He smirked at her, as if he knew what she was thinking, and picked up a branch, spraying super glue on the edge.

"Well, you gonna help me, or what?" he called to her. She took a moment to survey her surroundings, where even more people had gathered, before joining him by the tree.

They worked for hours, using his glue to reattach the branches to the bark and snap back together as much of the lights as they could. Sophie completely forgot about her mission to find the perfect Christmas present for her cousin, Dex, and focused entirely on the task to rebuild the town Christmas tree. She even forgot that she barely knew this Keefe person, and that she'd met him only a few hours ago. It was only when they finally lifted the tree back into place and found themselves right under a wreath of mistletoe that she was reminded of her company.

"Oh, uh..." she could feel her face turning red as she shifted from foot to foot. "I-I've gotta, um, go, so–"

"Ohhhh, no you don't," Keefe grabbed her hands. "A tradition's a tradition!"

Before Sophie could respond Keefe leaned right in and shoved his lips onto hers. She wanted to pull away, but it was so easy to sink into the kiss. Something about the moment was magical, with the snow drifting down around them and the leaves rustling above. It was only when she began to get out of breath that she finally stepped aside.

"I really have to go," she murmured, turning on her heel. But as she stalked off, a tiny grin spread across her face, and she hoped secretly that she'd see this Keefe again soon.

A/N: Yeah, I'm late. But ideas come at all times of the year, and I couldn't leave this oneshot unwritten. I hope you enjoyed, and if you have any ideas your willing to share, I will happily take requests.

So long and thanks for all the fish!