Chapter 6

Mirabel M.: I never should have brought up Bruno...

There, before her eyes, was the fully pieced together vision from a decade ago. The Casita cracked, with Mirabel in the center, Dolores and Mariano on the left, and then, Señor Posada and another guy? His ruana looked familiar, and the hair, but she couldn't fully see his face. And he was holding something.

Before she and Jorge had to flee the cave, she tried to ask about how Bruno's visions worked. Which led to both hearing all of the horror stories. Primarily Pepa and Félix's wedding day. Alongside some open regrets of how Bruno was treated. Particularly by the townsfolk.

Mirabel adjusted her glasses as she continued to stare wide-eyed at the green slab in front of her.

Why was this happening? Did she do something to somehow ask for this luck?

Was she really the burden Abuela thought she was?

Mirabel slid the vision into a drawer. Stepping out of the nursery with a suddenly heavy respiratory system.

Mirabel M.: This way, I'll help you talk to Hernando to get you home.

Jorge nodded.

Alma M.: Mirabel?

Mirabel flinched, staring up and making eye contact with Abuela. Jorge having hid himself already.

Mirabel M.: Oh, hello, Abuela. I was just taking this out.

Mirabel held up the arepa, still wrapped in the napkin, along with the cup of water.

Alma M.: You know dinner will be soon?

Mirabel's face reddened.

Mirabel M.: Yeah, I just...

Abuela spotted something in Mirabel's short, curly hair. Sand?

Alma M.: Why is there sand in your hair, Mirabel?

Mirabel's organs seemed to both cease function and compress tightly into one another.

Mirabel M.: Um...

Luisa M.: My gift!

Mirabel and Abuela turned to the stairs as Luisa ran up, panic in her voice.

Luisa M.: I'm losing my gift!

Abuela stared.

Alma M.: What?

Luisa tried to keep herself together, but it was tough considering the circumstances. This couldn't be happening. If she was losing her gift, she was losing her worth in the family. If she couldn't help people, how could she consider herself a Madrigal?

Luisa M.: I was just talking to Mirabel about me carrying too much so I tried to take a break but then I felt guilty so I went to put the donkeys in the barn but when I went to throw the donkeys in the barn, they were, heavy!

Luisa couldn't hold it together after those words entered the atmosphere. Running to her room, which had its brilliant light signifying her gift flickering.

Alma M.: What did you say to her?

Mirabel couldn't help the offended huff that was caught under her tongue.

Mirabel M.: I didn't say anything to her. She was more talking at me than talking to me.

Alma shook her head, walking to the stairs.

Alma M.: Mirabel, we have to get ready for Isabela's proposal tonight. It must go perfectly. So what ever you are doing, stop.

Mirabel was left alone then. She sighed, looking over at Luisa's flickering door.