Chapter 9: Try As They Might

"I'm not having it, Claire. These streets are dangerous. You come by the stall this afternoon and I'll come with you then Bran tomorrow."

"But-"

"No buts Claire! Your brother has a point," Marius scolded her then turned to the twins, "You both should have worked in the hospital instead!"

Agnes quickly stood up to intervene. It was too early in the morning and she felt her husband might just have one of his episodes of anger due to his worry.

While she worried for her youngest just as much, she has come to accept that Claire has to be able to be independent. Coddling her won't do her any good.

So for this matter, she chose to side with her daughter, sparing her sons from their father's wrath in the process.

"Marius, leave them be. I'm sure Claire has learned her lesson and she promised not to do anything silly, isn't that right, sweetie?"

The little girl nodded with pleading eyes, also feeling guilty her brothers had to be dragged into the consequences of her actions.

"I'm sorry, Papa. I know I made you all worry. I shouldn't have done that but how could we let them take the medicines away? And... You and Mama taught me that I should do my best to help if I believe there is something I can do so I couldn't just turn away..."

Marius' eyes softened, his daughter's words grounding him away from the merciless thoughts that have been plaguing him ever since coming to the Underground.

"What's so wrong with that?" She mumbled sadly but said no more, remembering her resolve when she woke up.

They all heard her and felt for the kindhearted little girl. But things are different in the Underground and she has to grasp that.

They have raised her well but she was still too naive of the world. "But never at the cost of your safety, not here in such place."

"I'm sorry too, Alec and Bran-onii..."

Alec's sigh of surrender was heard in the kitchen.

"Maybe you and Amon should stick together again?" Bran interjected with faux worry making his little sister whine in exasperation because it was only said to elicit an eager nod from Alec.

"But we split so we can get things done faster. I'm a big girl now!"

The twins snorted and Agnes tried to hide a smile. "Of course you are, my sweet girl."

"You better be back by your brothers' stall by 4. Do you understand?"

"Yes, Papa."

"Stop talking to strangers, alright?"

"Yes Alec-onii."

Claire turned to Bran expectedly but he only smiled and secured her beret on her head.

He may be a goof but he knows when to stop teasing or when a lecture is not needed - not that he bothers to give any.

When it was time for the deliveries of the day, Claire quickly dodged Amon having already suspecting him to insist accompanying her too.

She had awoken earlier that morning and sat for a while in bed, pondering the cautions she was told yesterday over her brothers' snores.

By the time her brothers stirred, she had decided to take heed of what everyone said, especially what Levi said. "This is a different place," she kept reminding herself.

Although she was hurt, she had overnight to think about it and figured he was right anyway.

Besides, the fact he even bothered to lecture her seems to her like he was coming from a good place, despite his approach or choice of words.