Chapter 1 - Unhealthy coping mechanisms

"Another drink, please" I called to the bartender, raising my empty glass to the air. I was sitting sluggishly on a bar stool with my upper body laid on top of the bar, my head resting on my arm. I already had a few drinks, enough to feel tipsy but not too much to be completely drunk; I was still aware of my surroundings.

I just needed to take my mind away from my last year of college starting tomorrow, my shitty ex and maybe find a hot guy to take me home.

The friendly bartender placed a new glass filled with my drink and took the used glass from my hand. I thanked her and started taking large gulps from the beverage.

From the corner of my eye, I saw how a black haired man dressed in casual clothes sat on the stool next to me. I turned my head to look at him and holy shit he was hot. His long black hair was tied in a man bun, exposing his attractive facial features. He had a scar under his right eye making him even more attractive and that 5 o'clock shadow gave him a more mature look.

He ordered whiskey on the rocks, something only hot people order. I honestly couldn't tear my eyes away from him, mesmerized by his beauty, they lingered on his sharp jaw line and soft looking lips. The way they-

"It's rude to stare, you know?" the attractive man suddenly spoke, staring back at me, startling me out of my thoughts realizing I've been staring for way too long. I probably look like a creep now. I quickly turned my head the other way.

"Uh- I-I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be rude" I apologized. My face started heating up and I chugged the rest of my drink to try and hide my embarrassment from him.

An awkward silence settled between us, I just embarrassed myself in front of a hot man, there goes my chance of getting laid tonight. I groaned under my breath and hid my face in my hands. "Another drink pleaseeee," I slurred, the effect of the alcohol starting to kick in.

"Girl, this is your fourth drink already. Do you have a way to get home safely?" The pretty bartender asked me while cleaning some glasses. I sighed annoyed but deep down I was grateful that at least someone cared about my well being, even if it's a stranger.

"It's fine, one of my friends is coming to pick me up." I said and it was obviously a lie. My two roommates and only friends were out at some club; they invited me to go with them but I decided to drown my problems in alcohol and sex instead of grinding bodies.

The bartender narrowed her eyes at me but started to prepare my drink. I turned to look at the man beside me, he had his drink in hand taking a few gulps. His Adam's apple bobbing every time he swallowed and I caught myself staring again.

He side eyed me and a smirk formed on his lips. "Sooo do you have a name, mystery man~?" As soon as those words left my mouth I regretted them, it seems like I can't stop embarrassing myself in front of this fine man. Damnit y/n, get yourself together.

"Shota." He simply said. His voice was deep, sending shivers through my body. He slowly eyed me up and down taking in my appearance. I was wearing casual clothes like him, too lazy to dress up nice. After he finished checking me out, he smirked once again.

"Y/n. My name's y/n, in case you were wondering," he didn't ask, you dumbass. I let out a small smile to try and ease my awkwardness, he just nodded and brought his drink to his lips downing the rest of the liquid.

"Bad break up?" he asked, gesturing to the now empty glass of alcohol in front of me, maybe he heard the bartender say this was my fourth drink. I just nodded not wanting to get into details with a stranger of my past toxic relationship.

He seemed to understand my silence and faintly nodded, dropping that subject and opting to make small talk. He seemed like an interesting guy and I was curious to know more about him.