VI There was one fear

You see, Miwa was never the one to back away from a dare. And what Hiroshi suggested was straight up an offense to her personality. You could say she was stubborn, maybe even a bit excessively. So she turned her nose up high and declared:

"Fine, I'll do it."

Why not? Why not invite Hanyu to a social gathering with her friends? The guy that accused her of wanting to take advantage of him the last time she suggested something mildly friendly. 

"Fine, I'll do it!" she said, and there was no turning back. Sure, she could say she invited him and he declined, which is probably what's going to happen anyways. But Miwa's pride would never allow her to do that. Miwa's stubbornness was so strong that it often lead to dangerous levels of stupidity. 

Sure, she'll ask him today. 

Sure, when he walks in today, she'll ask him.

Okay, maybe when he's about to leave.

She'll ask him tomorrow.

Tomorrow.

Tomorrow.

She'll just text him.

It was the evening of. He'll finish todays session at 10 pm and then Miwa will go to Karen's place, where Fumika and Hiroshi are probably already tipsy. She too will get drunk and forget about all this. She'll forget she asked him, and he got all defensive. Maybe he fires her this time. Maybe he reports her. The possibilities are endless really. 

She was sweating. The cool night air was doing nothing to reduce the stickiness of her skin. Strangely, her heart was calm, maybe it had gone to cardiac arrest already. She was about to back away from the dare any minute now. 

He walked out of the hallway. His sideburns still wet from the shower. A black T shirt clinging onto his chest. The noise of the suitcase preceding his footsteps. 

He was about to fly past her with a nod, when something came upon her, probably her never-ending pride and she physically grabbed the air to catch him.

"Hanyu-san-"

He stopped, visible confusion present in his stance, "Hm?"

"Um...." 

There was no way a massive blush hadn't covered her neck and cheeks by now.

"I-"

"Yes?" he asked, now turning in direction, a sort of solemn expression taking over the confusion. He looked like a boyfriend about to get dumped. Miwa would now.

"Um... There's a movie night event at my friends house. I'm going there now."

He looked about, frowning away, "You don't have a ride." he stated, aware that there was no car waiting for her. 

"Well yeah that, I'll take a taxi anyway," she said.

"Okaaaaay." the confusion was back, "Would you like-" Hanyu pointed to the street, probably thinking she wanted money for the taxi.

"Oh no, god no! That's not what I meant!" Miwa shook her head, "Okay, would you like to come along?" 

Miwa squeezed her eyes shut.

"Sure." he replied, and upon opening her eyes, she was welcomed with a small smile. 

*

"I can call you Hanyu-kun, right?" asked Fumika after she seated herself on the floor next to him.

"Sure" he smiled.