IX There Was One Storm

At 2 AM, after much tossing and turning, opening and closing LINE, she typed:

Hey, you okay? 

She stared at his offline status, before turning the app off and continuing to stare at the ceiling in the darkness. 

It bothered her, the whole day, the way he just stormed out. The way he hadn't spoken to her, not that he had to, but it still slightly hurt – maybe it hurt her pride, or maybe it was feelings. Just, a sense of uncertainty overtook her mind, making it hard to work, or sleep. 

Maybe it was too much, maybe she was stepping over the line. This was never a part of the agreement. And she all but remembered just what happened the last time she forgot her place. Maybe he was sick of her? Maybe she was a distraction? Maybe he had decided to cut her out? 

But the way he hugged her, the way he gently stroked her hair, the way he smiled, eyes disappearing... Miwa had to squeeze her eyes shut, the memory bringing back the same turmoil in her stomach. 

Okay, Miwa could admit that it was no longer just a crush, it was liking, it was longing, it was anticipation and seeking. 

Her phone buzzed, giving her heart a few extra beats than necessary. She waited for a few moments to pass before opening up the app.

Yes. You?

Miwa frowned a bit. That revealed nothing. 

Can't sleep... you left so suddenly... we never talked... you ignored me, I'm worried...

Miwa wrote a few such lines, before deleting them and continuing to stare at the screen. He was online the whole time, staring at his screen on the other side.  

Can't sleep... We didn't agree on the time tomorrow? 

Same as today?

Finally she typed out and pressed send.

Yes, thank you

Miwa frowned at that as well. Somehow the responses were dry. But maybe it was her imagination playing tricks on her. 

Ok

Goodnight 

She responded, contemplating if she should attach a sticker of some sorts. But before she could even decide to be brave, he responded with a simple goodnight and an animated cat he usually sent. 

What was Miwa to make of that, she wondered and tried to sleep, but to no avail. 

*

Two weeks had gone by since then. 

The chaos at the rink was about to conclude, and as much as Miwa enjoyed working and being away from home, she was exhausted and ready for a break. 

The one thing she was not ready for was dealing with Hanyu. 

Since that strange day two weeks ago, they barely spoke. Barely exchanged greetings or texts. Everything was strictly business. 

Too busy to address it, or even stress about it, didn't mean Miwa wasn't deeply confused and somewhat hurt by how things had developed. Maybe it was stupid of her to read into things or hope for something, but it simply didn't make sense. He changed for sure, and Miwa didn't know the reason for it. 

Indeed her position had been upgraded and she now recorded his practices from time to time. But those interactions were restrained and stripped of all friendliness, as if they were strangers. Miwa didn't understand how she'd deserved such coldness. And for a while Miwa thought she didn't have the right to know, or that maybe this was natural. She thought that maybe that's how he treated everyone that worked for him.