Chapter SEVENTEEN

Maya

Friday morning feels like it takes forever to arrive, but I wake up feeling well rested and excited. I really like this bed in Marcus' guest room, but it's time to venture out on my own, for real. I feel good being at his house - and I like the way he looks at me, and how he got me off in the shower - but really, I didn't come back to Boothbay to rely on someone else. For anything. I need to be on my own.

   Marcus has to leave at 7:30am, but I'm up by seven because I set my phone alarm and I can't sleep any longer. I go down stairs, still in my pajamas - a gray t-shirt and joggers - hoping he's still home.

   He's in the kitchen, pouring a coffee into a travel mug and looks over when he hears me come into the room. His eyes find mine right away.

   "Good morning." His smile looks a bit tired, but damn he looks good in his dress shirt and pants.

   "Morning," I say, stepping into the room.

   The night before, we watched a movie together after he got home from work and I fell asleep on the couch before midnight. When I woke up it was 2A.M. and he was gone to bed, but there was a blanket covering most of my body. I'd quietly gone upstairs to the guest room for the rest of the night, but couldn't sleep much after that.

   "Wasn't sure if you'd be up this early," he tells me, then adds, "I was going to leave the key here."

   "Oh, yeah. Thanks. I guess I'm excited."

   He smiles again and drops the key with a yellow tag onto the kitchen table.   "Is Nella going with you to the apartment today?"

   "Yeah and George is meeting us there with his work truck. I found a used futon and some other furniture online, so he's going to pick them up for me," I explain.

   "Oh, that's good." Marcus pours some cream into his coffee and then turns back to me.

   "Yeah."

   "Um, well, let me know if I can help at all." He seems like he's a bit unsure about me suddenly, which throws me off. "I'm sorry I can't come with you this morning."

   "You've done more than enough for me this week," I tell him, smiling.

   "I told you, I like helping." Now he's grinning and walking towards me. He puts one hand on my waist and leans in closer, even though it's just us here. "And I liked the company this week."

   We haven't straight out talked about how we had sex, twice, over the past five days. He'd been a bit more flirty by the end of the week but there was no conversation about it, besides what we talked about briefly in the shower.

   "I like your company, too," I tell him, pulling at the bottom of my t-shirt.

   "Good. I have to get going. Text me later?"

   I nod even though I don't know why he wants me to text him. I won't be spending the nights at his house anymore and it might be a bit weird, but I will finally be in my new apartment.

   I shower and then call Nella a bit after 9A.M. I have nothing to bring over to the apartment besides my clothes and a few personal items, but by mid-day I'll have a few more things. I am just dying to get over there.

   "I have the key," I tell my sister on the phone, like it's some secret mission.

   "Just changing Willow and we will leave. Excited?"