CHAPTER SIX

WEDNESDAY, 29 JUNE 2016

They worked in silence. Jay disassembled the handgun with care, while Nya drew up a blueprint until they could hopefully snatch the real one. Jay decided to tell Nya about his still unresolved argument with Lloyd over the weekend.

"So he blackmailed you?"

"Yes. And I didn't want to yell at him or anything, but he scared me. What if he actually was going to do it?" Jay replied and flipped the final latch of the gun case down. The hard plastic case secured the handgun they found with a satisfying click. It seemed to echo in the small room, which was currently a makeshift storage and workroom.

Other than worn out boxes of old blueprints, a single slightly splintered worktable, an uncomfortable chair and an old toolbox, it was mostly empty. The walls needed a wash, too. It was a somewhat depressing workroom, to say the least. Plans of renovation were currently taking the backseat.

"Lloyd can be a bit harsh sometimes. I think it's just his way of caring. He won't tell anyone, Jay. He minds his own business, most of the time," Nya responded carefully. She rolled up her blueprint and put it in an old box she used to store them. The cardboard was dented in some corners. Maybe he would get a new one, made out of wood, this time.

"Why didn't you tell me what he was planning?" Jay asked her after a moment, "I don't know if this is mean, but I don't really wanna talk to Wu. He's too cryptic sometimes." He turned around to rest his lower back against the worktable with crossed arms.

"Well," Nya said and got up from sitting on her haunches after placing the cardboard lid over the box, "I didn't know what to do. They already know something's up, and I don't want to make it more obvious. And I thought it would maybe help with the power thing, I guess. I didn't want to stress you out."

"Oh," was all he could respond with. He doubted that training would fix the problem. He couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong with him.

He hoped the others were faring better than himself and Nya. Hopefully, Cole and Zane could find some significance in the manacle and Lloyd and Kai would be able to dig some information out of Ronin, the most morally grey person they knew (without letting their secret investigation slip).

Jay wouldn't consider himself religious at all, but he was praying for Lloyd. Kai was the worst when it came to bargaining out of them all combined. May the FSM keep his mouth shut.

A part of him doubted that they would find anything at this stage. It was a small sample of information they were working off of. They all knew that they would have to go back. Updates were too slow, but that place made his skin crawl. A part of them all would rather diddle-daddle and wait for information to fall into their laps than step foot into an abandoned warehouse filled with assault rifles and possibly a cyrungle (Jay was still adamant on the cyrungle).

"Maybe Wu has answers," Nya said, sensing the uncomfortable silence. At least they had something to talk about, rather than merely looking at each other for hours and saying nothing.

"He probably found some answer while going through his stuff in his room that would just happen to be the one I need," Jay tried to lighten the mood.

"There's probably an answer. There's a lot we don't know about our own powers that he knows. Where is he, anyway?"

"No idea. He's in and out of here. Soul searching, I suppose."

"He's just doing his Wu thing. I haven't seen him since this morning. He left early when I went to use the treadmill. Didn't tell me where he was going, though," She said.