Chapter 4

"You know, most kids your age are out there, living their lives to the fullest. And your idea of fun is being stuck here with me? Not that I'm not fun," Miss Hannah hurries to add as she walks over to the table filled with herbs. I move toward it as well, reaching for my notebook when my stomach growls. "And you didn't even bother to eat?"

"I grabbed food. I just didn't eat it yet."

Miss Hannah sighs, she really likes expressing herself in puffs of air. She motions to the chair Liam vacated.

"Take a seat and eat your food while I go over a few things."

I'm not about to argue. I eat the banana first before I grab the cream cheese and spread it on the bagel. Miss Hannah takes a seat in the other chair, rearranging her dress around her before she speaks up.

"First, none of that miss stuff. Here, I'm Hannah. Understand?"

"Yes ma—"

"No ma'am either." She looks at me pointedly.

"Yes, Hannah."

She smirks at that, leaning back in her chair.

"I know I seem like someone who shouldn't be in such a high position, but I earned my place. I want you to know that right now. Also, I won't be nice to you, and I won't be your bestie. But I will be fair. Always."

From what I know of fae, I know they can't lie. But Liam said the rules don't apply to her.

"When Liam mentioned the rules not applying—"

"Oh, of course you caught that." She smirks. That seems to be her standard expression. "No, I still can't lie. But if you thank me, you won't be attached to years of servitude. It's a bit muddled around here, but I don't like liars, so I won't be one."

I nod at that, taking another bite of my bagel. She cocks her head to the side, giving me a once over before speaking again.

"You're a pretty girl. Is there a cute significant other to take up your free time?"

"No," I reply with a small smile. "I'm here to study, not flirt."

"Oh, come on, Avery. You should always have time to flirt. Liam there is a nice-looking fella. I'm sure he'll let you practice on him."

"I think I'll be okay," I reply, this time suppressing the smile. I'm not sure what Hannah is trying to do, but I'm starting to like her. There's a kind of no-nonsense attitude about her that I appreciate.

"Fine. I guess you'll be the studious kind." With that, she stands, throwing her hair over one shoulder. "As you can see, I have divided the work for different magics."

I swallow the rest of my bagel and hurry to my feet as she walks over to the herbs table. My notebook and pen are at the ready.

"We'll start with herbal magic. You may know most of it, but with our connection to nature, this is the most powerful foundation there can be. The foundation must always be strong or everything tumbles down. But that's not something I need to teach you, I'm sure you already understand."

I nod, still writing everything down. She sees the movement, and this time, her smile is less mocking.

"The science table is a bit of a mess right now. I was trying to work up some potions the council requested, but honestly, it's so boring. Anyone could do them. Not sure why I have to. But whatever the council wants the council gets." She does her hair flip again and rolls her eyes. I'm really not sure if I'm allowed to smile at her comments, but I want to.