Chapter 8

I have no idea where I'm going, so I head for the woods surrounding the school. The moment I rush into the them, I realize how stupid I am. I have no supplies, no direction. I could get lost in these woods and never be found.

All I know is that I have to get away from the fae. I'm not about to become anybody's science project. My body is still buzzing from all of my power. I surprised myself a little in there, throwing so much of it at him. With all the weird frizzing lately, I'm shocked it worked at all. But maybe whatever happened with that book righted my crooked magic somehow.

The forest is not quiet around me, but I try to move as quickly and quietly as possible. Every time I look behind me, I expect the fae to be there. I can still see his eyes. It's like they're embedded in my brain, and I try to push them away.

Suddenly, a noise reaches me. I freeze, doing a quick turn to see where it's coming from. It sounded like a twig snapping, which could be anything. When I turn, I gasp.

"Oh, Avery, what have you gotten yourself into?" Hannah steps around a tree, still wearing one of her prom-looking dresses, her arms behind her back.

"You have to let me go," I say, my hand at my side, ready with battle magic. I don't want to fight her, but I will if necessary.

"I wasn't going to stop you." That takes all the wind out of my sails.

"What?"

"The fae want you, Avery. They want you badly. The Summer and Winter courts are about to go to war over what you can do. It's not a place for my apprentice."

"You know what happened." It's not a question, but she answers anyway.

"The fae felt a power surge. I knew it came from you. I saw potential in you the moment I saw you."

"So, what now?"

"Now you leave. I'll get you through a portal."

That stops me. It can't be that easy.

"Why are you helping me?" I ask because there isn't a scenario where this would be in Hannah's best interest. She gives me a sharp look, as if she can read my mind.

"Because I want to."

"That can't be it," I argue.

"Don't you people have a saying about not looking a gift horse in the mouth?"

"I never liked that saying. I like to have my bases covered."

"Fine. I want you to be able to decide for yourself."

"What do you mean?"

"If you go to Faery right now, all your choices will be taken from you. You're a powerful tool, and they won't hesitate to do whatever it takes. You don't know this power. You don't know how much you can handle. You won't know how to protect yourself. You need to learn that first. And then, if you decide to go to Faery and help, then it will be your choice. No one else's."

"Help?"

"Your power, it can help Faery. Or it can destroy it."

I let that sink in. It feels like I'm about to get all emotional again, but I push it down. Now is not the time.

"You'll give me that choice?"

"Yes, I'm such a softy." She rolls her eyes, but I've already figured out that's just a defense mechanism. There's something in her words that makes me think she speaks from personal experience. I don't know what choices may have been taken from her, but she seems to understand. Then, she does her customary flip of the hair before she continues. "I've been around you humans for far too long."

I know thanking her is dangerous, but I do so anyway.

"Thank you."

Her eyes flash, but she doesn't comment on my slip.

"Now, get going. Once I open the passageway, you'll have two minutes tops to disappear. You think you can do that?"

I glance at Thunderbird Academy, barely visible through the trees. It shouldn't matter, but I'm already mourning a future that will never be. It's not like they were going to let me stay here anyway. Everything changed the moment I opened that stupid book and read the words.

"I'll do what needs to be done," I say, nodding my head firmly. Hannah's lips curl up at the sides.

"That, I can absolutely believe," she replies before waving her hand. A ripple shatters the empty air between the two trees and then it opens like a veil.

"Oh, and one more thing." I glance at her. She pulls her other arm around, the one holding the book. I stare at it in shock, but my hands are already itching to hold it. "I thought you'd need this."

I nod as I take it because I don't have words for her generosity.

"Go, Avery."

"I won't forget this," I say before I step through the portal.

* * *

Traveling by portal is a tricky concept, and one I haven't mastered. When it spits me out on the other side, I land on my knees, gripping the book to my stomach. Looking back, I watch the portal close over before I get to my feet. I'm in an alley in what looks to be a big city. If the skyscrapers I glimpse are any indication.

There's no time to waste, so I move before that fae shows up on my tail. Oddly, I don't feel tired after all the magic I used. I feel energized. I keep the book close to my side as I step out into the busy street. From what I can see and know of big cities, this looks like Chicago. The train is visible from where I'm at, so I walk over to the station.

I'll have to figure out money and food. I'll have to find a place to stay. Thankfully, I know all about most of the magical communities around the world. After all, I was going to be a council member.

With a wave of my hand, I'm through the toll booth and on the train. I'll have to be very careful about using my magic, but for now, that was a necessity. When I sit down, it feels like the weight of the world is on my shoulders.

Everything I have ever outlined for my life, all the hours I've spent studying and planning, it all has been swept away.

One book, one spell, and everything has changed.

I glance down at the leather-bound volume on my lap and feel that strange pull toward it once again. Somehow, maybe, this is what destiny feels like. I made plans, but the powers that be had different ideas. I may not understand it, but it's my life now.

It's time to make different plans.

I'll find a job. I'll find a place to settle. And I'll learn what I can about this strange magic and how to wield it. Of that, I am sure. After all, I am my parents' daughter, and they didn't raise a failure.

My mind shifts back to the fae and his blue eyes, but I push the thought away. That's over and done with. I'll make sure he never finds me. I'll make sure no one finds me until I'm ready.

And I'll be ready.

***

On the run, pursued by the gorgeous fae sent to bring her to Faery, Avery is out of options.

Can she escape the fae and keep her life?

Find out in , book one in the thrilling Fae Chronicles - OUT NOW!