Chapter 1

Pretty sure I'm cursed. And not the fun kind.

Although, people would probably argue with me about there being a fun kind. I guess it all depends on your definition of a curse.

I, for one, think that moving schools at the start of senior year is the worst kind of curse. Not only that, but I'm starting at Thunderbird Academy. The school that's now legend. Last year, one of the students and her friends here stopped a pretty powerful Ancient from getting her hands on some magic. There was also a very big threat of this Ancient killing half the students and turning others to the dark side. But good prevailed and now this place is a fortress.

With everything going on in our world, with the Ancients rising and wreaking havoc, my parents thought this would be the safest place for me. Considering it's the hot spot for the most powerful spells and enchantments, they might be right. If the school had a reputation before, it has an even bigger one now. Everyone wants to send their kids here. My parents had to pull some strings.

It's not that I don't want to be here. It's just the human part of me is rearing its head, the part that's not exactly a fan of being thrust into the middle of a tight knit community, all by my lonesome. I had to leave my family and friends behind. But my parents thought it would be best, and I'm in no position to argue. With everything that's been going on, if this gives them even some small peace of mind, I'll do it.

"Hello!" A cheery woman with curly burgundy hair greets me as I walk into the reception area. "I'm Miss Cindy! You must be Avery."

"I am."

"Don't look so surprised, I make it my business to know who comes into this school. I'm Headmaster Marković's personal assistant. I have your class schedule and room assignment right here."

"Thank you." I smile, her energy making it easy to like her. She might have some hospitality spell in this room to make it easier for newcomers, but I kind of think this is just her personality.

"I know it must be hard being away from your family and friends, but this school is like one big family. You'll fit right in." She pats my hand, and I soak up the small gesture like a thirsty flower soaking up water. Miss Cindy is the perfect person to greet newcomers. She put me right at ease. "Do you need help finding your room? I can get one of the helpers." She motions toward a group of students talking right outside the door, but I shake my head.

"I'll be fine on my own. Thank you."

With that, I take the materials she offered and head for the door. My old school wasn't nearly this impressive. Magical, yes. But kind of boring. It was housed in an old human school building, so it was modern. Mostly. This place is like stepping inside of a gothic novel. Everything is baroque and dramatic. But still inviting somehow.

If that makes sense? Did it make sense? Clearly, I'm on top of my mental capacity right now.

Sighing, I glance down at the map and head toward the stairs. There are groups of students everywhere. Suddenly, a burst of wind rushes through the hallway, slamming my hair into my face. I push it back before I walk into a guy talking to his friends. Everyone is laughing, but thankfully, not at me. They seem to know each other well, and that's probably the case. Most people don't wait until their senior year to start at a new place. But that's just how my life turned out. Good thing I was raised resilient. Most of my friends panicked more than I did when they found out I'd be leaving.

"That sucks so much. How will you ever have a fun year with all those strangers?"

I heard that more than once. But I've learned we're not given anything we can't handle. If this keeps me and my family safe, I can work on my antisocial tendencies and make a few friends. Maybe.