Chapter Four

Chapter Four: "You're going to die today, Natalia."

32 years old

32 years old

The underground car park was the best place to be when wanting to murder someone. Possibly my favourite place – was it weird to have a favourite place to murder someone? – because it was almost always empty of people, save for a few bystanders parking, it was dark and it was the perfect spot to isolate someone. Easy entry and exits were just a bonus.

I was in my car, staring at the dimly lit lifts at the end of this floor, waiting for my target to come through. Countless hours dedicated to tracking down my target and revising his schedule had led me to this moment, and when the lift doors opened, I stopped drumming my fingers on the steering wheel and got out the car.

My walking pace picked up as he mindlessly tried to find his car, using his keys to unlock it. He didn't spot me, despite the fact that we were the only two here, and I felt for my throwing knife in my jacket sleeve as I approached him with my orders ringing in my head.

Knife slipping out of my sleeve, I gripped it tightly before raising it in the air, narrowing my eyes to focus. As I pulled back to make the throw, a metallic clang sounded in the empty car park and my knife flung from my fingers, hit by another one. Furrowing my brows, I spun around quickly, ready to defend myself from whoever was there.

Familiar green eyes found mine and I clenched my jaw, feeling a rush of anger course through me at the sight of someone I never thought I'd see again.

"Y/N," she said carefully, and I squeezed my hands into fists by my side, only able to think about the pleasure of her bleeding out before me, dying. It was what Dreykov would have wanted.

Nat... how did you find me? You left. You left and never came back. Why are you here?

"Back off," I warned her with a venomous tone, before turning around and taking off into a run towards my target. The mission was my priority, nothing else.

"Y/N!" I heard her call from behind me, but I barrelled on.

My target stared wide-eyed at me, too shocked to move, and I saw the future of his death shimmering in his eyes, at my hands.

Go.

Before I could get to him, I felt someone tackle from my behind, knocking me to the ground. I grunted as I hit the tarmac stomach-first, feeling her sit on me from behind.

"I always was the better runner," she mumbled satisfactorily, making me scream with frustration.

"What the fuck?!" my target shouted with panic, and I looked up with difficulty, watching him backing away slowly as he saw us.

"Get out of here!" Natalia told him frustratedly. "Leave!"

Yes! Do as she says!

"No!" I yelled, before using her distraction as opportunity to throw her off my back.