Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten: "The world needs the Black Widow more than I need you."

Since Nat shared her news of being contacted by her old teammates, things had been tense between us

Arguably, I could be perceived as stubborn for not wanting to hear her out, but I didn't care. Whenever she tried to bring it up again, being careful and considerate, trying to talk to me at the best times, I shut her down. I didn't want to discuss how she'd have to leave again, how she was basically dying to leave anyway, how she hated it here.

She was never happy, not truly, I knew that, and this was the out she'd been waiting for. So, I didn't want to talk about any of it, not even slightly. I naively hoped it would make her listen to me, ignore what Steve was suggesting and make her stay with me where she was safe. But obviously, that wasn't reality. It was just a fantasy, just like our lives had been the past eight months.

It was clearly bothering her that I kept cutting her off, avoiding the conversation, not giving her time to discuss it. She was getting more and more frustrated with each passing day, and it was a week later when she must have finally thought enough was enough.

I was in the kitchen, preparing some vegetables for dinner when she cornered me with a peeved expression.

"I can't wait any longer," she said calmly, for now.

I laid out the vegetables on the chopping board, remaining nonchalant. "Wait for what?"

"Seriously?"

Rolling my eyes, I looked up and met her incredulous stare. "I've already made it clear about how I feel."

She frowned disapprovingly. "You've got to stop acting like a child, Y/N."

I swallowed hard, jaw tensing. "You've got to stop acting like the world revolves around you."

Her eyes turned as fiery as her hair but I didn't stay to witness it. Turning around, I searched for a knife on the other counter to chop the vegetables with, but I couldn't find it.

And then a knife flew past my ear, sticking into the wooden cupboards above me and right next to my head. I breathed out slowly to contain my anger.

"You ready to talk now?" she asked dryly, not the slightest bit calm anymore.

I yanked it out of the wood with a burning irritation in my chest and turned around, slamming it on the counter between us with a loud thud.

"I'm done talking," I said between gritted teeth, meeting her glare. "You want me to be okay with it and I'm not. So, now what? You're just gonna go?"

"You're not even considering it!" she exclaimed, eyebrows raised.

"Consider what?!" I shouted with a lump in my throat. "You leaving?! No, I'm not considering it!"