SIX

The Conquering Queens
6. The Crown Princess & The Babe

 The Crown Princess & The Babe

───⋆。°✩☼✩°。⋆───

Princess Elizabeth

TIME HAD PASSED since the campaign had begun, and my father had been taking care of the affairs of the state. The queen mother does not like the power my father has gained while the king is away. I hear she wants to murder my father and replace him with someone she can easily control.

I fear for my father's life as time passes, as I pray that he secures himself in the graces of the king and my husband. Yet, he will not be safe until I give birth to my son. It has come to my attention that all hope for the line of succession and the kingdom's stability rests in my growing womb.

The stress of it all is too much for me to bear at one moment, but I assume it's my duty as the crown princess and wife to produce healthy sons and heirs. My impending duty is not a hidden secret from me as I was taught as a young girl of my duties I would have when become a wife.

Yet, I was not prepared to be the wife of a future king nor a mother of one.

I believed my life to be a simple one of joy and happiness or as much as I could have, but sadly my father had other plans in play for my life.

Midday came, and I walked through the court halls with my father and young brother, with my ladies trailing three feet behind. My father and brother wanted to speak about the campaign and the bitter feud between the queen and the queen mother.

My father laughed at the raging quarrel between the queen and the queen mother. He thought the women to be fools to believe they could have any power when their only jobs were to be obedient silent women who pleased their lord and husband.

He could not understand why so many men feared the queen mother while he did not. He saw her as any other she-wolf trying to gain power through her son's authority. For the queen, he just believed her to be a silly woman with foolish dreams of power.

Nonetheless, underestimating these women is just as foolish as a peasant with court dreams.

"How is the child, sister?" Andrew asked.

"The child is alright. It grows by the hour," I replied with a soft smile as my hand rubbed gentle circles around the outer core of my womb.

"I hope you are resting well. You need all the strength you can muster for the child," My father said plainly, and I just sucked in a breath as the people of the court bowed to me when I walked past.

"Is there any news on the queen or queen mother?" Andrew asked our father, and he shook his head in disappointment. "Sadly, the two women have been calm these past days. A surprise to us all."