Chapter 20: a walk

Luke Hemmings

I was flooded with a sea of emotions mixing around inside of me, obviously I was relieved that she was okay and nothing happened to her, but I was pissed at the girl for being so fucking stupid. She knew better than to pull a stunt like that, especially with a trick she hasn't perfected yet, it was dumb and she knew that.

She stumbled backwards and was about to fall back into the snow when I pulled her back to stand upright, and I guess I pulled too hard because the force sent her small body crashing into mine. We stood there for a moment, which gave me the opportunity to really take in her facial features for the first time.

Her big brown eyes reflecting the moonlight staring into mine, the small little freckles that sprinkled themselves over her tan skin, and her pink lips that were making a small pool of blood in the corner of her mouth from a cut that had formed. Even after taking one of the worst wipeouts I'd ever seen her take, a small smile was still stuck on her face as she looked at me.

I swiped my thumb across her bottom lip to wipe some of the blood away and showed her that this was probably the worst injury she would have from the wipe out, and before I could get another word in her hands were flying up to my face, and pulling it down towards hers crashing her lips into mine.

I was completely caught off guard because one; kissing this girl was the last thing I expected to happen tonight, and two; she was the one to initiate this and make the first move. I could have sworn it was going to take a lot longer for her to break and let me in, but something completely changed in the time between sitting in my car parked at the Sonic, to now.

Like I said earlier, I was full of mixed emotions, I was pissed, and relieved, and annoyed, and dumbfounded, but despite all of that, my mouth couldn't help but curl into a small smile as her lips were pressed against mine. She began to slightly pull away but my hand moved to grab the bottom of her chin and tilt her face up towards me, and I could feel her smile growing as I did this. The taste of her completely silenced every thought I was having as the kiss deepened and her lips parted wanting more.

While we stood in the middle of the snow, on a cold winter night everything seemed to feel warm as her body was pressed against mine. That feeling was cut short as she unlocked her lips from mine and finally pulled away. Her hands slowly fell from my face and her eyes trailed all over me, taking in whatever expression I was sporting as she bit her bottom lip.

"Adrian Casey, what was that all about huh?" I said as my tongue poked the inside of my grinning mouth. Her cheeks flushed red, and she would look anywhere except at me at this point.

"I– It's getting late, uh– we should probably go" She said, giving me a quick glance before turning to pick up her snowboard, and tuck it under her arm, making the short walk back from the terrain park to the board rental shop.

We reached the shop and the bell at the top of the door chimed as we pulled the door open which made Sam look up from whatever he was doing on his phone.

"And how did it go?" Sam asked as he looked over at us lugging the gear towards the counter, "everything seems to be in the same condition so I'm guessing there was no attempted murder on the mountain tonight?" he laughed looking over at Adrian who had yet to look me in the eyes.

"Quite the opposite I'd say" I chuckled as I nudged her side with my elbow which made her turn her head up towards me finally making eye contact with me as her teeth sunk into her bottom lip.

"I– I don't even want to know what that means but you kids have a good night" Sam said, clearing the counter of our gear as Adrian and I turned back to the front door and slid our own shoes back on before exiting the small establishment.