Chapter One Part Two - First Darkness

Over a hundred miles northwest, darkness envelops a similar village. Built in a natural valley of dunes, the sea mist creeps in from the crashing waves, draining the heat out of what life exists in the hostile environment. The ground crunches underfoot. Gloom blots out all light of the night sky. The only sounds that can be heard are the crashing of surf against jagged outcrops.

The only one still awake to experience all this was Berach. His dark eyes stared out over the watery expanse, his sight blocked but his mind cutting through the murky night, exploring possibilities. Colourless waves smash at the stone, the spray freezing as it reaches out to his pale silhouetted face. The solitary figure stands still as his thoughts travel towards his goal, seeing every step, dodging every obstacle until finally, his dreams are reached.

A smile spreads through his strangely thin lips. A smile just for him. A smile that means death. Mainly death for those whom he hadn't yet met, but also for some whom he had. The soft leadership of some of the clan chiefs had to be replaced if the human race was to move forward. Technology is not something to be feared. It is something to be utilised, a tool to help a man achieve his ambitions.

And what of his ambitions? Are they not noble? To unite the clans and create a working society, able to cater for its people and defend them from any threat. To build a new civilization. A great civilization. No, the greatest civilization. To be the strongest power in the continent. And with him as the head of this great warrior power, The rest of the clans on other land masses would soon fall in line with his vision.

Weakness will not be tolerated. The failure to conquer those who pose a threat shows a lack of leadership. After the weak have been disposed of, the right technology will become his, and from then on his plans will be unstoppable. Anyone who gets in the way will be removed, either by joining in the cause or by elimination. No room can be left for human error.

A sudden soaking from the increasing waves wakes Berach from his thoughts, bringing him back to the world. If he is going to ever see his plans reach their climax, he too needs sleep. He is only human.