Chapter 5: A Perplexing Puzzle

Sometime later in the night, Dire Crowley and Briar are standing in front of an old rundown area. It has old and rusty looking fences, dried and spooky looking trees, a staircase that leads to a building that seems old and rundown.

Briar asks, "Uh, you want me to live here...? This is too much character, if you ask me."

"Isn't it delightful?" Crowley questions.

"Uh yeah. Seems nice," Briar says, sheepishly.

Then mutters, "And kind of spooky."

"Right, scoot inside now," Crowley says, pushing Briar to the gate."There you go."

The two then walk up the stairs and to the door. Briar opens the door and walks inside. The headmage follows after her. To Briar's shock, the dorm seems to look a lot worse on the inside. There are old curtains, furniture, including a desk and a bookshelf, a chimney with some old photos, and some lights.

"This should keep the elements at bay for the time being. Now, I should return to my research. Do try to find some way to busy yourself. But don't let me catch you wandering the campus! Ta!" Crowley says.

With that, Crowley then leaves the dorm and closes the door behind her. Once he left, Briar looks around to see the place is run down and is covered in dust.

"Wow. This place is so rundown," Briar says to herself.

She then moves her ringer across a furniture close by and looks at the thick layer of dust covering her ringer.

"And very dusty," Briar says.

She sighs, "I guess I'll have to make do with what I have. I better start cleaning up."

With that, Briar looks around and finds a broomstick, a duster, and a rag. She soon finds the kitchen and finds a bowl, and fills it with some water. She then walks into the lounge of the dorm. Briar begins to dip the water in the cloth, and begins to clean the windows. Soon, she begins to sing.

Briar:

Oh, Sing sweet nightingale

Sing sweet nightingale

Hi~gh above me

Briar is able to clean some of the windows. Then picks up the duster and dust some of the areas of the dorm.

Briar:

Oh, sing sweet nightingale

Sing sweet nightingale

Hi~gh above

Briar continues to dust and clean as she continues to sing. Unknown to her, something or someone very small is secretly watching her from an entry that leads to the hall.

Briar:

Oh, sing sweet nightingale

Sing sweet nightingale, hi~gh

Once she's done dusting, she picks up the broom and begins to sweep the floor.

Briar:

Oh, sing sweet nightingale

Sing sweet nightingale

Briar sweeps the floor as the dust is pushed across the floor.

Briar:

Oh, sing sweet nightingale

Sing sweet

Oh, sing sweet nightingale, sing