Chapter 3-Sam's Reaction

Saturday November 16, 2019, 9:00 AM

Penny got out of bed, although she was still feeling tired. She hadn't been able to get back to sleep, after seeing the results of the test. She puts on her robe and walked out to the kitchen, and poured herself a cup of coffee. She noticed Leonard was at his desk, working on his computer.

"Whatcha doing?" She said, taking a sip of coffee.

"I'm working on the notes for the interviews." Leonard said. "I have to turn them in on Monday, so Dr. Gablehauser can look over my recommendations, and give his."

"So, you're going to be busy this weekend?" Penny asked.

"I know, I said I wouldn't be, but I..."

"It's okay sweety." Penny said. "I've got some things to look over too, so I guess we can work on things today. Let's just end it by four, okay?"

"That sounds good." Leonard said.

Penny walked over to her desk and picked up her laptop, then carried it, and her coffee, toward the bedroom. She did have some things to look up, but it wasn't work, and she didn't yet want Leonard to see what it was. She puts her coffee on her nightstand, sat on the bed and opened her computer, typing into Google: 'What does it mean when a line on a pregnancy test disappears.'

Various sites filled her screen, and skipping past the sites listed as ads, she saw several sites for pregnant women. For the next two hours, Penny looked at the forums, and questions at those sites. Reading through the answers, some said it was a false positive, others said it could be a bad test, a few others said it meant the woman was pregnant, but it could be too early to get a distinct line, and to take another test in a few more days. Penny thought about what she had read, and felt somewhat relieved. After all, two of the three results meant she wasn't pregnant, so she thought she had a better chance of not being pregnant, than of being pregnant.

By now, it was lunchtime, so she walked out to the kitchen and asked Leonard if he wanted anything for lunch. When he said yes, she made some soup and a couple of sandwiches. She brought the food to the island and called for Leonard. They both sat there eating, with Penny asked how Leonard's work was going. Afterward, Leonard went back to working, and Penny cleaned up. Then headed back to the bedroom.

Penny was lost in thought.

What if I am pregnant? How did it happen? Penny thought back. Let's see, Leonard was gone, I was gone, there was the call. Oh damn, that night I told Leonard not to bother. But I just had my period, I couldn't get pregnant then, could I? Penny opened her computer, and started looking on Google: 'Can I get pregnant the day after my period ends'. Again, she skipped past the ads and clicked on the first site, she read and found that for women, like her, with an irregular cycles, she could have release an egg that early.

She kept clicking on different sites, hoping to find a different conclusion, but they all said the same thing. Damn it. It's just like when I told Bernadette it didn't think women could get pregnant when they were breastfeeding. Here, I thought you couldn't get pregnant the day after your period. Maybe I shouldn't be so relieved about that test. How could I be so dumb? Shit, I just might be pregnant, but I have to wait for another three to four days, before I can take another test. If I am pregnant, I didn't give my body enough time to make the hormones, to get a positive test. If my next test wasn't positive, then I can relax.

Penny felt tired, from getting up early, and all the worrying she had done this afternoon. So, around 2 PM, she laid down to get a nap, and was soon asleep.

Sunday November 17, 2019, 10:00 PM

Leonard and Penny were getting ready for bed. Leonard knew there was something bothering Penny, but wasn't saying anything. He had noticed how quiet she had been when they went out to dinner on Saturday, a Mexican Restaurant because Penny wanted something spicy, and how she didn't say much of anything on Sunday, when the rest of the gang had come over for dinner.