a quarter of whole milk

The next day, Binar braced herself for the worst. She dressed plainly, as usual, in jeans and a white blouse. She really didn't think he'd come, but she snuck a dress, anyway. It was an old one from her mom, with the green pigment fading and the sleeve being puffed. It's a little wrinkled given it was shoved, literally, into her bag. As the time passed, she grew antsy and kept biting her nails. If her coworkers noticed, they didn't mention it (which she's grateful for).

It was 4.30 pm and she gazed through the kitchen window. No Ethan.

It's fine, she thought. She could play it as a joke next time he dines here. That, if she hasn't scared him off. She let out a long sigh while simultaneously taking off her apron. At least it's not that hectic today and she got to go home and sleep early. She wondered if she should've to go watch the latest movie or pass by the grocery store before going home?

Betari, one of her coworkers, elbowed her in the stomach, making her shriek. "What the hell?"

The said girl pulled her towards the window and pointed towards a man sitting on the barstool, talking to the bartender. "He said he's asking for you."

Binar was too dazed to ask why because Ethan was here and he's looking fantastic and oh no, is he going on a date with someone and asking her service since she's the only one who speaks French here? She smiled sheepishly when Ethan turned his head to her, squeaking "What can I help you?" as much as she could because she found her throat was dry and her hands were shaky.

"Hey!" he simpered. "Your shift is finished for today, correct?"

"Uh, yeah? What—"

"Great! I've got two tickets to Swakarya Exhibition." He fished out two black papers from his pocket. "They're opening a new art gallery so I thought we could check it together?"

Binar's heartbeat soared to the roof and she let out a breathless "hold on, need to change" before dashing to the restroom at the back. She pulled out the dress from her tote bag, desperately smoothing the wrinkles. The door opened and she saw Betari crossing her elbows and raising her eyebrows. "What was that all about?"

Binar rolled her eyes as she slipped on her dress. "None of your business." She cursed when her unruly hair came into. The strands were everywhere, and it looked as if a bird was nesting on her head. "Can I borrow your perfume?"

Betari kept looking at her the same as a thief caught in action by the police. "I didn't know your type is a—" she pointed to the door with her thumb "—westerner."

"I don't even know my type is a westerner. Now can I borrow your perfume, please? And stop looking at me like that." The room was full of vanilla and cinnamon as she sprayed the perfume on her as swiftly as she can before shoving it back to Betari and fixing her hair.

"So, he's your boyfriend? That explains why he comes here often," she quipped, nudging her shoulder.

Binar sighed and chose not to answer. "Do I look okay?" she asked, body vibrating from anxiety and excitement. It's been a long time since she felt this way. The last time she did, she got a severe heartbreak and a trip to the hospital. Hopefully, she managed to contain herself from falling into the same hole twice.

With Betari nodding her head, Binar went out and trudged to Ethan. She promptly felt odd not having her hands tucked inside a pocket so she fumbled with her tote bag and clutched her dress.

Seeing her walk his way, Ethan grinned from ear to ear. "Hey! You look nice!" He complimented and jumped to his feet. "Ready to go?"

Binar looked back to Betari who was peeking from the kitchen window and she gave her two thumbs up, mouthing 'you got this!'. She turned her head back to Ethan and smiled. "Yeah."