three

It was the day of Antonio's gift ceremony. Giselle was instructed by Alma to help around with the cooking alongside Julieta. Camilo would frequently stop by and help her out whenever he could, since he wasn't doing much other than transform himself into other people. Mirabel was explaining to some town kids each of her family's powers... in song?

     "Welcome to the family Madrigal!" Mirabel was surrounded by a bunch of kids. 

     Giselle was puzzled so she turned to her hazel-green eyed friend who was putting a baby to sleep. "I should assume singing is something you all do frequently?" She asked him, a confused expression on her face. 

     "Eh, yeah. I thought you'd be used to this by now" The boy responded.

    Alma then called Giselle to go do something once more, so said girl got off her feet and rushed to get Isabela from her room. "Mademoiselle Isabela?" Giselle knocked on the older girl's door. 

     Truth was that Giselle wasn't overly fond of how perfect Isabela was forced to act. Well, Giselle really disliked how Isabela and Mirabel treated each other like enemies. But she had no right to involve herself in private family matters. 

     Rosed-vines wrapped around the door as it slowly opened, revealing the picture-perfect Isabela. "Giselle, how can I help?" She pushed a hair strand behind her ear. 

     Giselle motioned to the walls by the front gate, "Madame Alma would like some more flowers on this side; if you did not mind, of course." Isabela nodded and strolled her way towards where Giselle pointed previously. After that, Giselle walked back down the stairs. 

     "Mirabel!" Alma called out to the girl in glasses as she held a vase of flowers. "What are you.. doing?" 

     Mirabel was surrounded by the town's kids. "Uh, they were just asking about the family—" 

     "She was about to tell us about her super-awesome gift!" A little girl with braided hair exclaimed. Giselle tried not to cringe, attempting to keep her face nonchalant. 

     Dolores popped through the door, "oh, Mirabel didn't get one." She squeaked as she shrugged. Alma and Dolores awkwardly continued with the decorating as they walked off. Giselle stepped closer to the crowd of kids. They all turned to Mirabel, pity on their faces. 

     "You didn't get a gift?" Another young girl with a hat asked; Giselle thought her name was Cecelia. 

     "Um—" Mirabel started uncomfortably. 

     "Mirabel!" A man next to a donkey holding a basket of fireworks called out. "Delivery!" He picked up the basket. "I gave you the special one since you're the only Madrigal kid with no gift." 

     Giselle's eye twitched. She knew who that guy was, unfortunately. He was a nice townsman, but did not know when to keep his mouth closed. She could tell this would not go well. 

     "I call it the-not-special-special, since—uh—you have no gift!" He said casually. 

     Mirabel was obviously hurt, but she smiled anyway. "Thanks." 

     "Oh and tell Antonio good luck, since the last gift ceremony was a bummer—" 

     "Alright, monsieur, I am sure you have much important business to attend to. I shall take this off you hands." Giselle took the basket from the man's arms, hiding her annoyance with her usual calm tone. 

     "Ah, the known mariposa! Always so kind! Well then, hasta luego señorita!" He took his donkey and went back the way he came from.