Ch 1 // Calling Him Home

A strong silver paw ran through the wheat near its owner's hips

     A strong silver paw ran through the wheat near its owner's hips. The paw belonged to a tall, well built wolf who was admiring the fields of his farmland. He owned a very large farm that helped feed the nearby town, and he was proud of it. He built it from nothing and it was more than he could've ever asked for.

     He looked at the sky as it grew darker and smiled once he saw stars come into view. It was time to go back home, but not the one he was walking towards. The farm house he had built was getting closer to him, his mind already flooding with things he needed to do once he entered the doorway. He knew what was coming next, but he felt something stir in his chest that he couldn't just ignore this time.

      He took a breath to strengthen himself before opening the door to a bit of a chaotic scene. He smiled wide as his smaller children ran around him, running from their mother who was begging them to wash their paws. The criminals in question were Rowan who recently turned 6, the twins Sydney and Tobias who were about 11, and the youngest pup Nova at 4. He waved a hello to one of his older kids, his daughter Eden who had just turned 18. He closed the door and started to sit down at the table. He smiled at his sons who had sat down before, patiently waiting for the okay to get food. Axel, who was 25 and Jesse who was just 28.

     "Hey boys. How're you doin?" He asked them while helping himself to the food that had been prepared and laid out.

     "I'm okay. Just a long day of school." Axel murmured.

     "Same, really. I'm seeing scripture in my dreams, I think..." Jesse moaned along with his brother, the two of them cautiously getting food as if they shouldn't before their mother came to the table.

     A red husky, who was very frustrated and holding onto two struggling toddlers, huffed and came up to them, "Lee. Please." She asked their father out of desperation.

     "Ah. Sorry hun, I was just hungry and-- Let me help, here." Lee said gently as he took his youngest daughter into his paws and smiled wide, telling the older one to wash his paws. Once the little pup ran off obediently he played with the little red toddler and watched as she grabbed at his crystal necklace and tried to gnaw on it with her new puppy teeth. "Oop! Hey hey, Nova no!" He laughed and pulled back from her. "Don't chew on my crystal. We're nice to them, they help us."

     She looked up and cocked her head. "Help us? Buh how?"

     He sighed and cast a glance to his wife, who was busy with the twins. He nuzzled her and laughed, "They help give us life energy. It's hard to explain. But just know that ...it makes me happy to wear it. And one day you'll get one too."

     "Will I get one too, dad?!" Yelped an excited Rowan who ran back with clean, yet wet, paws. He grabbed at food, but was quickly helped by his mother.

     Cassandra rolled her eyes dramatically as she helped the young boy to the table, "You don't need to teach them about all of that stuff. I thought we agreed on the pups not meeting the tribe." She said without looking up. She sat down and concerned herself with her own plate of food now, though she hadn't eaten anything yet. She knew this wasn't going to be a conversation, and Lee caught on as well.