Chapter 5: A flower named Yoonji

"So, why are we stopping here and buying food for your professor?" Namjoo asks Jungkook. "I plan on bribing him with food."

"I asked him where he will be today, so as soon as he texts me, we'll go there." Namjoo nodded and looks around. The place has changed so much, she doesn't even remember the old Seoul.

"Hey, I'll be right over in that nursery. Just call me when you know where he is." Namjoo walks ever so slowly to the plants on the display and thinks about her memories with Yoonji.

{Meanwhile in the university building at the same time}

"Why will I lie to you?" Kim Seokjin pouted as he speed-walked out of the classroom. 

"You lied yesterday when I asked what you will bring me for dinner and got me unhealthy McDonalds." Seokjin's patience was practically invisible at the moment. 

"Look, all I am saying is, you should meet her. You can see me too."

"I see your face anyways when you come back home. Why do I want to see your wrinkly face?" That was it. Seokjin's patience left him with its bags packed.

"Yoonji, you're a coward for not seeing Namjoo, okay? You wanted to see her for so long, and now that you have found her, you are planning on sitting in your chair and listening to piano music for the rest of your life?" Seokjin's patience now came back with regret.

"...You old man, I am here." Seokjin grinned. He knew she would meet Namjoo.

Hobi owes me a back massage for sure after this.

-

"Yoonji!" Seokjin shouted as loud as he could. His lung capacity surprised him and immediately praised himself for maintaining his health for so long. He waved at her, but suddenly, a car hit her in the middle of the road.

"YOONJI!!!" He screamed loudly and rushed towards the unmoving body. A small crowd had formed around her and the driver was calling an ambulance. All the other people just looked at them, scared and saddened at the tragedy. "Is anyone here a doctor?" Seokjin sobbed out.

Namjoo's purchase of a plant was interrupted by the commotion created. Jungkook and her shared a look and went over to see what was going on after quickly paying for it.

"Professor!?" Jungkook squeaked at the sight of his teacher's bloodied clothes. He felt the items in his hand fall and rushed to him. "What happened here"

"Yoonji..." Seokjin cried out. His sobs were painful. But among them all, Namjoo was standing still, unable to take a breath. 

Was she too late?

Did she lose Yoonji forever?

Namjoo flung Jungkook away and rubbed Yoonji's palm. "Hey baby, it's me, Namjoo." Yoonji's eyes opened, as blood dripped on her forehead and cheek. "Joo..." She let out a short grunt of pain and Namjoo lifted her head quickly onto her lap.

"Look at me, you wanted to see me right? Open your eyes. Please..." Namjoo let her tears fall. "I even got a plant and named her Yoonji. I have waited for you for so many decades. Open your eyes, Yoonji. You can do it." A doctor nearby talked to Seokjin, saying that the pulse was too weak. It was a wonder how she was even breathing right now.

"Na... m... j..." Yoonji took rapid short breaths. "No... reg... rets... meet... you... at... last..." Namjoo grasped her hands into her own and put their foreheads together, sobbing and comforting her with words. 

"Joo..." She opened her eyes and looked at Yoonji, struggling to form words. "Lo... ve... you... your... hair..." Namjoo let out a wet chuckle and let her hands guide Yoonji's to her short hair.

"Please don't leave me. I found you after so long. We're supposed to have 4 kids together and a cattle farm. Yoonji, come on." Yoonji tried to open her eyes one more and strained to speak, but she coughed blood, and slowly rested herself forever.

Seokjin's screams of anguish and Jungkook's loud cries were flooding her surroundings. He could feel the people muttering 'sorry' to her, but Namjoo couldn't do anything. She was frozen with Yoonji in her lap.

"... Road accident... Low pulse... Not breathing... Dead...."

Ah yes, the word Namjoo was dreading for. Death. 

After all these years of finally being able to see her lover, she was snatched away from her. Her heart pained her, she just wanted to be able to hold hands, go on dates, raise animals, and plant flowers with her. But, God had his own thing going on. She picked up the flower pot she had abandoned in haste to get to Yoonji and hugged it tightly.

"You're still alive for me."

---