The council of Elrond

Pov narrator

The following morning, at the Council of Elrond

The following morning, at the Council of Elrond. Gandalf and Frodo, along with a congregation of Men, Elves and Dwarves, sit in a semi-circle around a stone pedestal. "Strangers from distant lands, friends of old. You have been summoned here to answer the threat of Mordor." Elrond says, addressing the whole council. "Middle-Earth stands upon the brink of destruction. None can escape it. You will unite, or you will fall." The elven lord continues.  "Each race is bound to this fate — this one doom."  He ends and gestures to the pedestal.

"Bring forth the Ring, Frodo." Frodo rises and lays the Ring on the pedestal. Your eyes follow him from your seat. The ring was calling out, but you cut it out.  "So it is true..." you hear the man that you met at the shrine of Narsil whisper. Frodo returns to his seat beside you and Gandalf. He seems relieved. The members of the Council stare at the Ring, mesmerized by it. It appears to start whispering to each of them in turn. Each person hears it differently. "The Doom of Men." A man says—Boromir rise to address the Council, making your eyes shift to him.  "In a dream, I saw the eastern sky grow dark. But in the West, a pale light lingered. A voice was crying: 'Your doom is near at hand.'" He says while approaching the Ring on the plinth.

"Isildur's Bane is found." He repeats. Boromir reaches out towards the Ring. Gandalf and Elrond exchange concerned looks. Boromir's fingers hover above the Ring. Your eyes blaze. Elrond leaps up and calls. "Boromir!" You stood up; your voice was soft yet stern. "Sit down, Boromir of Gondor. No man of your ilk will lay a hand on the one ring, for your race is easily corrupted. The ring will seek to corrupt your heart. Don't give in, not while your heart is not hollow." You give Boromir a final scathing glance and resume to your seat. Boromir is shaken but content back.

"It is a gift. A gift to the foes of Mordor." You roll your eyes. Boromir's eyes wander from you to the council as he paces. "Why not use this Ring?" He says, mainly to the panel, but you know it's aimed your way too. "Long has my father, the Steward of Gondor, kept the forces of Mordor at bay. By the blood of our people are your lands kept safe! Give Gondor the weapon of the enemy. Let us use it against him!" He ends. Aragorn then speaks up, aiding your words. "You cannot wield it! None of us can. The One Ring answers to Sauron alone. It has no other master." Boromir glares at the young ranger.

"And what would a ranger know of this matter?" He spits, his voice mocking. An Elf stands. He is recognizable as the Elf Gandalf saw from Elrond's window. "This is no mere ranger. He is Aragorn, son of Arathorn. You owe him your allegiance." He says. Your lips draw in a small smile. "Aragorn? This... is Isildur's heir?" Boromir says in disbelief. You growl, an answer on its own.  "And heir to the throne of Gondor." The elf ads. His eyes find yours and glint in recognition. You nod subtly. Frodo looks wide-eyed at Aragorn. "Havo dad, Legolas." (Sit down, Legolas.) Aragorn says.

"Gondor has no king. Gondor needs no king." Boromir says and returns to his seat. "Aragorn is right. We cannot use it." Gandalf speaks up. "You have only one choice. The Ring must be destroyed." Elrond says. A dwarf with red bears stands up and exclaims. "Then what are we waiting for?" He grabs an ax and approaches the pedestal. He strikes the Ring with full force but is repelled back, throwing him to the ground. Concurrently, Frodo sees the Eye of Sauron in his mind and winces in pain. A sting of pain sticks you too, but you seem unfazed. The Ring remains intact with the shards of the ax all around it. Whispers in the black tongue issue forth from the Ring, making you narrow your eyes in anger.

"The Ring cannot be destroyed, Gimli, son of Glóin, by any craft that we here possess." You speak up. Elrond glances at you but says nothing. They all know that you speak the truth. "The Ring was made in the fires of Mount Doom. Only there can it be unmade. It must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence it came." Elrond continues. The ring whispers. "Ash Nazg." "One of you must do this," Elrond speaks, addressing the whole council. Silence.  "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its black gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep. And the great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland. It is riddled with fire and ash, and dust. The very air you breathe is a poisonous fume. Not with ten thousand men could you do this. It is folly!" Boromir says, annoyed.

Legolas stands indignantly and exclaims, "Have you heard nothing Lord Elrond has said? The Ring must be destroyed!" Gimli soon leaps to his feet. "And I suppose you think you're the one to do it?!" He spats. "And if we fail, what then?! What happens when Sauron takes back what is his?!" Boromir exclaims as the Commotion starts as arguments erupt amongst the council members. Frodo remains seated, watching the Ring, with the council's figures reflected on its surface. You grip the bridge of your nose in irritation. Suddenly, flames flare up, engulfing the surface of the Ring.

The intensity of the arguments increases. Slowly, determination dawns on Frodo's face. He stands and takes a few steps toward the arguing council, trying to make his voice heard. "I will take it!" He exclaims, but none hears him, none except you. "Hey, quiet!" You boom. The argument dies down. "I will take it!" Frodo says again. Gandalf closes his eyes as he hears Frodo's statement. The members of the council slowly turn towards Frodo, astonished. "I will take the Ring to Mordor. Though — I do not know the way." Frodo says. You smile at the hobbit.

Gandalf walks towards Frodo, making you shrink into a baby dragon, and is on Gandalf's shoulder in a second. Gandalf smiles at you while the council stares, surprised. "We will help you bear this burden, Frodo Baggins, as long as it is yours to bear," Gandalf says and places his hands reassuringly on Frodo's shoulders. Aragorn rises, making you look at him. "If by my life or death, I can protect you, I will." He says and approaches Frodo and keels before him. "You have my sword. He says and meets your eyes.

"And you have my bow," Legolas speaks up, walking over to join you. "And my ax!" Gimli speaks up and looks grimly at Legolas as he enters the group. Boromir then walks over to you, not noticing yori cold glare. "You carry the fate of us all, little one. If this is indeed the will of the Council, then Gondor will see it done." He says. Sam suddenly jumps from behind the bushes and joins you.  "Mister Frodo is not goin' anywhere without me!"  He exclaims, making you chuckle at his cuteness. Elrond then speaks up, amused. "No indeed, it is hardly possible to separate you even when he is summoned to a secret council, and you are not."

Pippin and Merry suddenly emerge from behind the pillars to join you.  "Wait! We are coming too!" They exclaim.  "You'd have to send us home tied up in a sack to stop us!" Merry says, crossing his arms over his chest. "Anyway, you need people of intelligence on this sort of mission, quest... thing," Pippin speaks up, and you chukle at his uncertainty. "Well, that rules you out, Pip," Merry whispers to him. Elrond smiles at you all and exclaims. " then companions... So be it! You shall be the Fellowship of the Ring!" You all smile at each other.

"Great! Where are we going?" Pippin says, making all of you chuckle.

————————
Chapter's up 🆙

-Saph