Chapter 10: Ariah

"Alright, short history lesson." 

I sigh as Keris spreads out a map of Earth. 

Earth. What a weird name. 

"Keris, do we really have to go through all this?" I whine.

"Yes, now hush up and let me tell the story." I grumble a little but let him continue,

"Alright, so a couple thousand years ago, when God made the worlds, He put humans on the main one, and us Arkites on the other, just for a little variety. Lucifer was jealous of our two races, tempted us both, and we both fell.  After that, our history and Earth's history are pretty much the same, except that around the middle ages, we figured out that having differences didn't matter as much as obeying God's Word, so we all agreed to form a single country, and make our advancements according to the will of God. 

Now, on Earth, that didn't happen. The countries just kept fighting and fighting until a world war happened, and then another, the corruption grew worse, a lot of people stopped believing in God, and now they're gearing up for a third world war. My theory is, based on what you told me, that the Americans discovered Archon very recently, saw our potential as a weapon, and came to take as many of us captive as possible to train us as the weapon they so desperately need."

I nod. Keris's idea is.... Surprisingly solid. I was actually expecting a half-baked, barely thought-through argument about why he should jump directly into a dangerous situation with absolutely no forethought whatsoever. 

Let's just say it's happened before. 

"I heard a soldier say that my family was going to be taken to a place named Langley." I tell him. 

He looked at his map for a second before grabbing another one from a drawer. I look at it closely. It appears to be a close-up of part of the smaller landmass on the first map. "What is this?" I ask.

"It's a map of North America." 

" Wait- This is just North America?!?!? Is this country really that BIG?!?!?!?" 

He laughed. "No, Ariah! In the late Fifteenth Century, a man named Christopher Columbus was trying to reach India by sailing around the ocean, instead of around Cape Horn like everyone else was. Ended up, he landed in the Bahamas, mistook it for India, and discovered the Americas."

"Hold on, wait." I interrupt. "Why did he name it the Americas? Why not the Columbias?"

"Well, Columbus never set foot on them. A guy named Amerigo Vespucci decided to follow in Columbus's footsteps, traveled to the Bahamas, took a ship from there, and explored the coast of South America. Couple years later, they named the entire landmass in his honor. The continent of North America contains two countries: Canada and America. Each is broken up into major areas, which are in turn made up of various states. Let's just focus on America, because that's where we're going."

  "The most general areas of America are the West Coast, the West, the North, and the South. And then there are Alaska and Hawaii, but those are irrelevant right now. Langley, Virginia, is in the South, along with the states of Arkansas, Texas, Mississippi, Louisiana, North Carolina, South Carolina, Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia. Virginia and West Virginia used to be one state, but they were on opposite sides of the American Civil War, and so now they're separate. But, anyway-"

"Get to the point, Keris. We don't have all night. Where is Langley?"

He sighs and pushes his glasses back up his nose. "It's near Washington, D.C."

"Great. What is that?"

"Washington, D.C. is the country's seat of government. It's named after their first president, George Washington. But it's also where the current president lives, as well as the headquarters for the FBI."

I give him a look.

"FBI stands for the Federal Bureau of Investigation." 

"Okay, so why would that be a problem?"

"Because I don't know the exact location of Langley, so we'd have to go to Washington for me to figure it out." 

I nod. "Alright, I know where we can find a portal. Let's go."

He froze. "Wait, what?"

"I said let's go."

"Like, now?" 

Yeah, now."

"Can I at least get ready and tell my parents where I'm going?"

I groan. I want to be gone now.

 "Alright, fine, but make it quick."

******************************************************

So, what do you think so far?

 And, little heads up, I'm going to be experimenting with Keris and Ariah's ages and appearances, as well as how long it's been since they broke up, so don't worry if they're different every chapter.And yes, I know it was a boring chapter, but at least we learned something interesting!

Oh. I was the only one who thought that was interesting? I'm sorry.

                If you know where Langley is, or any details about it, please tell me because I know nothing about it! 

And be sure to tell me in the comments if you want some chapters about the mystery surrounding Keris and Ariah! (Because I reaalllly wanna know!)

If you like the book so far,

 comment here 👉,

vote ✔, 

or just keep reading! 📖

Love y'all,

                                                   G.