Chapter 30: Wyndar

I'm not stupid. I knew the whole time that Keris was dating my little sister. It was obvious. 

I didn't mind, really. I liked the idea of having my best friend for a brother-in-law, and they seemed happy together. I even found the ring in his backpack one day. It's just easier if I act like Ariah got all the brains in the family: teachers expect much less from me, and the community college is looking for a few new basketball players, so it wouldn't be too weird if I stuck close to home while Ariah went off to a good college. 

Well, little good that was doing me now. There were twenty-six of us all together, all in one room. Every few hours, someone in a lab coat would come and escort one of us out of here for a day or two. They either came back alive, a gibbering mess, or not at all. 

There used to be thirty in here. 

The doorknob rattles, and a few of the others flinch back. But when the door opens, it's a soldier, not a scientist. He was tall, with curly brown hair and bright blue eyes, and when his eyes landed on me, he smiled a bit, and asked a question I wasn't expecting: 
"Is this everyone?"

I looked around. Nope, he was definitely looking at me. "Yes?" 

"You're sure?"

"Yeah, why?"

"Well then, we're here to get you out."

"What?"

"Didn't you hear the man, Wyndar?" I recognize that voice! My sister leans into the room.

"Ariah? What on earth-?"

"Come on, come on, we haven't got all day!" 

I stand up, and help my mother and Mr. Kelsey to their feet. Mr. Kelsey has been unfailingly attentive to mom, and I suspect that he has a crush on her. He's nice enough, I suppose, but it feels like an affront to Dad for mom to remarry, at least not yet. We follow the soldier and Ariah out of the room, and Keris helps a few of the others whose joints aren't working right to walk. Based on the way my sister is looking at him, they've resolved their issues. Good.

"Uh, I hate to bring this up," I say, "But how do you plan to get us all out of here?" 

"Follow me." The soldier says. 

--------------------------------------------

Dang, so Wyndar isn't as oblivious as everyone thinks!

Also, why does this escape feel way too easy?

If you like the story so far,

Comment here 👉,

Vote ✔,

Or just keep reading! 📖

Love y'all,

                                                                                      G.