Introduction

Here is the introduction for the fourth of my eight projects for ONC this year.

What prompt did I use?

I'm using prompt ninety-three. "You attended the same elementary school from kindergarten through third grade before moving away. You find yourself returning to that same school district when starting high school. Faces look familiar as you walk through the hallways. Will childhood friendships rekindle or have they changed too much?"

What fandom are you writing for?

Great Uncle Dracula, for which I'm probably a fandom of one fan. By that I mean it's not a fandom I see many people knowing about.

What do the readers not familiar with the fandom need to know?

GUD is a two-book early reader series following Emily Normal who is a second-grader who moves to some unnamed town (yes, Transylvania, Pennsylvania is the name I gave it) Who finds out her dad's uncle is Dracula, or at least of the Dracula line, making her a quarter vampire. She makes friends - her best friend Winnie Witcherson and their two other friends Wolfie Johnson (yes, I've expanded his name for the fic) and Hector Spector.

Her brother Elliot who is in the second grade drives her nuts with the help of his friend Gregory Ghostmeister and Wanda McWitch is the girl who bullies her, Wolfie the "wimpy werewolf" as she calls him is the only one who is able to make her stand down. His aunt makes perfumes and there is little to no description regarding character descriptions outside of Emily having pigtails and eyeglasses.

Yup. It's a pretty blank slate to work with for fanfic, but I enjoyed the series.

Also, not a part of the series, there is quite a bit Wolfie is going through when it comes to mental health, but I think some of this is inspired by the fact we've never really talked about the mental health of elementary school kids and how that will later impact them until COVID hit and so there are some things he and everybody else has to work through. Plus, there's other things kids go through.

What is the inspiration for the story?

I've always wanted to write this prompt this way, but never got around to doing it because we're talking such a super rare fandom that I'd be the only audience, so I've thought over a wide range of different stories over the years, but effectively I work with things having become strange between Wolfie and his friends simply because he's not very open about his homelife, yet Wanda, the young witch who bullies Emily, knows more about him then his friends do as they're actually next-door neighbors even before they entered kindergarten and effectively stopped being friends at that point.

How do I incorporate the prompt?

The prompt is the plot for this story. Wolfie Johnson (Great Uncle Dracula series) moved away in the third grade and moves back during high school. He attempts to reconnect with his childhood friends who at first don't recognize him, but the story answers the question asked by the prompt.

Word Count

Chapter 1 - 1,074
Chapter 2 - 2,170
Chapter 3 - 3,466
Chapter 4 - 5,017
Chapter 5 - 6,042
Chapter 6 - 7,368
Chapter 7 - 8,830
Chapter 8 - 9,847
Chapter 9 - 11,401
Chapter 10 - 12,969
Chapter 11 - 14,492
Chapter 12 - 15,546
Chapter 13 - 16,791
Chapter 14 - 18,156
Chapter 15 - 19,224
Chapter 16 - 20,292 Fin