Chapter 4

"A perception on love can always change," said the card given to me

"We all choose which perception we love the most and stick to it," I write next onto the card and pass it to who I now know is named River not Hudson which is his last name.

He passes it on to the next person as we all bore our eyes onto the person, our credit for the class today depending on the card the person holds and what we have written in it.

From the corner of my eye I see River lean over to me whispering, "A bland response Nolina, was expecting more from you honestly."

He's right, but I'm not gonna admit it.

"Oh shut up I wrote something down and passed the card along, that was the assignment after all was it not Hudson?" I say crossing my arms across my chest.

"You're always so defensive, almost as if at any moment someone's going to attack you and your already prepared." River snorts at the beginning of his response.

"Maybe it's because stupid idiotic people like you tend to approach me more than I would like, which causes my flight or fight instinct to go intact." I whisper back in response as we all watch the second to last person in our group write on the card.

Once we're all done the card is handed to me since no one else wants to go up to present it in front of the class. I pay attention as to which theme all the other groups had until the teacher finally calls upon ours.

I stand up and walk towards the front of the room and start to recite our work.

"A perception on love can always change,

We all choose which perception we love the most and stick to it,

which one comforts us,

not knowing love is none of those things."

I walk over the teacher and hand her our card as she takes down the people that were in our groups names. I go to sit back down and pack the my bag getting ready for the bell to finish signaling lunchtime that is until the teacher stops us, " If I call your name I would like for you to stay back when the bell rings." She says putting her glasses on and says, "Catalina Kova Nolina and River Milani Hudson please stay back when the bell dismisses everyone."

I shiver in disgust at my birth name being said then look towards River realizing he's already looking at me, I raise my eyebrow at him and then turn towards the front of the classroom sighing when the bell rings.

We both grab our bags and head towards the front of the room, waiting as the teacher shuts the door and walks back towards us.

She grabs two packets of paper and hands them to us taking her glasses off and placing them on the top of her head, "Congratulations you both have been chosen to participate in the L.E.L this summer for your last year of highschool."