𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 8

Caleb

I sat on the couch, crossing my left ankle over my right leg, the pleasantly musty smell of the book in my hands, filling my nostrils.

The library was silent and peaceful yet it felt as if something was missing.

I always loved spending my time alone here, in the middle of pages and stories. If I was not in the gym, then I was here.

Reading had always been my passion since I was really young. I did let go of everything of my childhood since the day I became a Mikhailov but the only thing I decided to always bring with me was my passion for reading.

But that didn't stop me from becoming who I was today. As much as I loved reading, shedding blood and taking lives became my obsession. It became my identity, my whole being. I was born to be just an heir but I became much more worthy than just being the heir of a monster.

I fought for my life and became one of the most important member of the Elite group of the Bratva, the Sovietnik of the Pakhan, one of his closest soldiers, his spies. I vowed my life and loyalty to him till I met Kiara. And that was when my life took a whole different turn but I was glad I found her.

She became my redemption, my addiction. And she was the only light in my dark world. My Ptitsa!

I sighed and closed the book, rubbing my temples when a soft knock on the door broke the silence and I already knew who it was.

"Come in, Ptitsa!"

She sneaked in the room, like a little thief, with a tray of coffee in her hands, her face glowing with happiness.

"How did you know it was me?" she asked, putting down the tray on the coffee table.

"Well let's say I'm like a receptor in a phone and you're the Wifi. I always find you."

"Now that was dumb from you, Caleb." she laughed.

"Offence taken, Ptitsa."

"I didn't say anything to offend you, Mr. Bookworm."

I chuckled and watched her pouring us some coffee.

"How was your day, Ptitsa?"

"It was fantastic!" she grinned cheerfully.

Her eyes fell on the book on my lap and she gave me a curious look.

"Tell me, what is your book about?"

Her question caught me off guard.

It was not that she never asked.

Her question brought me back to our past.

The past where she would always patiently listen to me talking about books while I would do the same for her when she would talk about movies.

My eyes darted to her only to find her impatiently waiting for me.

I smiled, knowing that nothing really changed between us. We were still the same, we were just bruised but soon our wounds would be healed and everything would go back to how we used to be.

"It's not a novel."

"Its okay, I'm still all ears."

My smile widened and I motioned her to come closer to me and she did without any objection, intertwining our fingers.

At that very moment, I knew what was really lacking in the library, Kiara's comforting presence.

"It's about human psychology, which is interesting to know about."