𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 43

PRESENT

Kiara

I watched Caleb sink down on the floor, leaning against the edge of the bed, facing me. Except that he was not looking at me. Instead, he just sat down there silently, staring blankly at the floor.

The truth was finally out.

From the beginning of our story to that letter which triggered him to question everything.

Everything was out.

After four years, I finally let out the real reason why my kidnapping felt like a normal departure and why I wrote the letter without leaving any hint that I needed him.

And for once, his silence made me wonder whether he would look at me the same way he always did.

I couldn't afford to lose our love again, not when we were trying to give ourselves another chance to be finally happy.

I barely survived those four years without him. If he still thought that I betrayed him and let go of me, then that would be the death of me.

"Caleb," I softly called out, my heart tearing into pieces when he finally looked at me, his eyes red with unshed tears.

He was crying....

My Caleb was crying....

And I never thought seeing him cry would cause me so much pain. It hurt more than the first time he smiled at me. And this agony.... was unbearable.

He came closer, kneeling down before me and took my hands in his and kissed them, breaking down in front of me.

"I'm so sorry, Kiara.... I'm so sorry...."

No....

He rested his head in my lap, holding me tightly while his whole body shook as he cried, breaking my heart over and over again.

"I knew it was impossible for you to leave so suddenly. And I looked for you everywhere. I knew it was al Vlad's fault, yet I let him manipulate me and doubt you."

Running my fingers in his hair, I tried to blink away my tears but in vain. I couldn't even bring myself to speak. It felt as if there was a knot tied around my throat that stopped me from comforting him. And I hated this feeling so much.

"I'm such a shitty lover Kiara and I'm so sorry. I had no right to question you but I did. I hurt you even though I promised myself not to. You are too precious to deserve an asshole like me, I-"

This time I forced myself to speak and I cupped his face, making sure he was looking at me.

"You saved my life since the very beginning of us yet you still think we deserve each other," wiping his tears away, I added, "Caleb, anyone in your place would have thought about the same thing. And Vlad, he's so pathetic that he chose to attack you by twisting a knife in your wound. But I promise you Caleb, there's no one better for me than you."

He hugged me tightly, hiding his face in my hair. I didn't know for how long we held each other like that but it was comforting and exactly what we both needed.

"I love you so much, Ptitsa. I swear, I will go insane if I lose you again."

He pulled away from me slightly only to lean his forehead against mine.

"You will never lose me, mi amor. We're not reckless lovers anymore. We're more mature, stronger than how we were in the past. And this time, I believe no one will be able to break us apart."

And that was true.

We were not as careless as how we were four years ago.

The past might have broke both of us but it only made us stronger and brought us closer.