CHAPTER 5

After lunch the juniors assembled in the gymnasium for the required physicaleducation class. "Okay, gentlemen," the gym master shouted, "we're going to make something of those bodies yet. Start running around the gym. Stop after each round and check your pulse. See me if you don't have a pulse." The boys groaned and began jogging around the huge gym. The master chuckled and walked to the edge, leaning against the wall to observe the runners.

"Hastings, move it. We've got to get some of that gut off of you," he called to one boy. "Check your pulse. Nice run, Overstreet," he called out. "Good pacing." Knox smiled and waved as he passed by the teacher. None of them thought they'd make it through the class, but by the end of the period they'd surprised themselves.

"I'm going to die!" Pitts gasped, standing in the shower after the class. "That guy should head a military school!"

"Come on, Pitts, it's good for you," Cameron laughed.

"That's easy for you to say," Pitts shouted back. "The guy didn't embarrass you to death." Pitts turned quickly to face the wall as the gym master strolled through the shower room, monitoring the activity.

"How about a study group?" Meeks called out from the shower.

"Right after dinner."

"Great! Good by me," several of the boys agreed.

"Pick up the soap, Harrison," the gym master called out. "You there," he pointed at another boy, "hurry and dry off!"

"Sorry Meeks, I can't make it," Knox said. "I have to sign out to have dinner at the Danburrys' house."

"Who are the Danburrys?" Pitts asked.

"Whew! Big alums," Cameron whistled.

"How'd you pull that?" Knox shrugged.

"They're friends of my dad. Probably in their nineties or something."

"Listen," Neil laughed. "Anything is better than the mystery meat we get here."

"I'll second that!" Charlie agreed. The boys finished getting dressed, tossed their gym clothes in their lockers, and headed out. Todd sat silently on the bench, slowly pulling up his sock.

"A penny for your thoughts?" Neil laughed, as he sat down next to Todd.

"Not even worth that much," Todd said, shaking his head.

"Want to come to the study group?" Neil asked.

"Thanks, but ... I'd better do history," Todd smiled.

"Okay, you can always change your mind," Neil answered. He gathered up his books and headed out of the gym. Todd watched him leave and then stared into space again. He put on his shoes, picked up his own books, and walked slowly back to the dorm. In the distance Todd saw the fiery-red sun sinking behind the green perimeter of trees that enclosed the sprawling campus.

"It's big, but it's so small here," he sighed, looking around. Inside the dorm, he smiled at several boys in the hall but walked into his room and quickly closed the door. He put his books on the desk, sighed again loudly, and sat down.

"I can't believe all the work I have to do," he said as he flipped through the stack of books. He opened his history book, took out a notebook, and stared at the first clean sheet of paper. Absently, he scribbled SEIZE THE DAY in big, black letters.

"Seize the day?" he questioned aloud. "How?" He sighed again, ripped the page out of the notebook, and threw it into the wastebasket. He turned a page in the history book and started to read.

~

"Ready, Overstreet?" Dr. Hager asked, as he walked into the Honors Room, where Knox Overstreet was once again studying the pictures of old Welton students.