Chapter 6: improvise, adapt and overcome

Sunday afternoon, minutes before the game starts and Lauren is talking to the team.

I know this game is soon guys, just focus on doing your part and execute to the best of your abilities. Zach, anything you want to say?

This situation is not what we hoped for, but see this as a chance to prove ourselves. If we come out with a win when everything is against us, then they'll have no choice but to stop doubting us. So let's go out there and play our butts off!

Marcus jumps up from his seat.

Hell yeah, ECU on three! One, two, three.

ECU!!!

As he's waiting in the tunnel to go onto the field Zach is greeted by a familiar voice.

Good to see you again Zach.

Adam, Matt! You guys came all the way to California for me?

Me and Adam got a promotion. Now we get sent all around the country to the most exciting games in college football.

When we heard that you were already playing a game, we immediately asked our boss if we could come. And here we are.

It's nice to see familiar faces, wish me luck!

Matt scoffs and pats Zach on the shoulder.

A bonafide stud like you doesn't need luck!

Thanks for the confidence boost Matt.

Anytime, see you after the game!

The team take to the field under loud cheers from their home crowd. Zach and Marcus make their way to the middle of the field for the coin toss since they're team captains. When they get back Lauren is visibly nervous.

Take a deep breath coach. Analyze their defense and find their weakness, we'll do the rest.

Right, divide and conquer.

We have the ball at the beginning of the second half.

Lauren turns around to face the rest of the players.

Kicking team, let's go!

Zach walks over to the bench to grab his helmet and notices that Rebecca is sitting in the front row right behind them. He walks over to her and gives her a kiss on the lips without hesitation.

You didn't think I forgot about our deal, did you?

She blushes and shyly shakes her head as plenty of girls give her jealous looks.

The opposing team goes down the field but the ECU defense manages to hold them to a field goal.

As the defense makes their way back to the sideline, Zach makes sure to hand out a couple high fives to motivate them and boost their morale.

Good job defense!

The offense makes their way onto the field and they huddle up around Zach.

Alright guys, first play is convoy right halfback toss.

The running back manages to get five yards and they huddle up again.

Time to catch them off guard. Convoy right, QB pass variation one.

The ball is snapped and Zach runs in the opposite direction of his blockers while hiding that he still has the ball. The opposing defense collapses on the convoy of blockers assuming that ECU gave the ball to the running back again. In their greed they lost sight of Marcus who snuck behind every single defender and is wide open. Zach plants his feet and launches the ball as deep as he can. Marcus runs underneath the pass and catches it with ease since there is no defender even remotely close to him, scoring a touchdown in the process.