Chapter 12: charity

The next morning Rebecca practically skips through the kitchen while she's making her breakfast, which doesn't go unnoticed by Lisa.

You're in a good mood this morning. Did you... sleep well?

Yup, haven't slept that well in ages.

I bet!

Zach sits down next to Lisa and flick her ear.

Ow! What was that for?!

For being nosy.

Fine, I'll drop it. Elle had something she wanted to ask you.

What's up?

Remember the charity work at the local dog shelter that I told you about a while back?

Of course, are you setting up an event?

Yes, we're going to organize an "adoption rally". If you could be there it would help with the publicity and draw more people there.

Sure, just let me know where and when.

Awesome, I'll let you know the details later today.

Rebecca joins in on the conversation and turns to Elle.

If you end up making flyers for the event, make sure to give me a stack of them. I can spread some around in the hospital.

That's a great idea, I'll definitely do that.

Later that week on Sunday morning they head to the shelter where Elle is already hard at work setting everything up.

You're here! People should be arriving in about an hour, could you help us out with some last-minute organizing?

Zach and Marcus put up some tables and chairs outside, afterwards they go inside to check on the girls. As soon as they step foot inside they find them playing with the dogs.

Can you believe this Marcus? After playing a game yesterday we come here to bust our asses outside and here they are having a good time...

Marcus pretends to shake his head in disappointment.

Typical, we should have expected something like this.

The girls, being caught red handed all turn their heads to them like a dear caught in headlights. Elle scrambles to find an excuse.

We were seeing which one of these would be coming home with us...

I'm sure you were.

Rebecca swiftly picks up a small Husky and carries it over to Zach.

Look at how cute she is.

She's very cute, but a puppy is a lot of work.

Lisa walks over to them and starts petting the dog.

Except its not a puppy, she's an Alaskan Klee Kai. Think of her as a fully grown miniature Husky.

Like I said before, as long as she's well behaved it's fine with me.

Rebecca enthusiastically kisses Zach.

You're the best, I love you!

Hearing Rebecca say I love you to Zach so casually causes Lisa to look at him in surprise. He shrugs nonchalantly and smiles back at her.

People start arriving a little while later and dogs slowly start getting adopted. Thanks to Zach's presence the turnout is much larger than expected and the shelter manages to raise some extra funds for renovations, safe to say that the day was a success.