Chapter 24: big day, even bigger changes

It's the week of the draft and Zach is watching some coverage leading up to the even on the tv when Lisa joins him.

Where's Rebecca?

Packing for Vegas.

She's taking a long time.

Most girls tend to spend a significant amount of time on something like that.

I'm not like most girls.

Don't I know it. I think she's nervous about the "red carpet", she's trying on every dress she owns.

What about you? did you pick up your suit yet?

Yup, I went to get it yesterday. Along with an impulse buy...

Why are you acting so secretive?

Fine, I'll tell you. but you can't say anything to anybody.

Lisa leans in close.

I can keep a secret.

Ok, I'll trust you. I bought a bow tie in stead of a regular tie.

She sighs and shoves Zach away.

That was super lame, I don't get why you're keeping a secret all of a sudden.

I know, I don't like it either. But it's a big deal... you'll be on the front row when it happens, I promise.

Fine. Look, they're talking about you on tv.

Zach raises the volume.

What about Zachary Gray?

Well, he's from a small school and he went there for a reason.

True, he's not a flawless prospect. There are some question marks about his character, a player with his talent should have played for a big school.

How early do you think he could go?

Despite those question marks he's still considered the number one quarterback prospect in this class. The Jets at number two could take him.

It would be a miracle if the Marauders don't take him at five. I wouldn't do it though, you don't take risks like that with a top ten pick. Spencer Dunham from Ohio State is the more sensible pick.

Lisa grabs the remote and turns off the tv.

That's enough bullshit for one day, they don't know what they're talking about.

But they're badmouthing me on national tv...

That doesn't matter. In the end Sam knows who you are and that's all that matters.

Thank you for always being there for me.

You've done same for me, and we always will. Now go check on your girlfriend.

Zach gets up and starts walking towards the stairs.

Time for a confidence boosting intervention.

When he walks into the room, he finds Rebecca posing in front of the mirror in a black dress that stops just above the knees and some tasteful cleavage.

You look amazing, I've never seen that dress before.

Glad you like it. I went shopping with Elle and Ruby... not Lisa, she made it pretty clear that she's not a fan of shopping.

Yeah, it's never been her thing. That does explain the "riskier" look.

Is it too much?!

Zach playfully puts his arms around her waist.