chapter 22

"We Must Talk About Bruno"

Abuela ended up notifying the townspeople they weren't able to help them at the moment. Now all of them sat in the center of Casita. "We have to find a way to figure out where that wild spark went." She said. Mirabel furrowed her brow, thinking hard.

Before she spoke however, you spoke up. "What about asking Señor Bruno to look into the future? He could see what we'll do in the future and we can simply fulfill that vision." Camilo, who was sitting next to you pat you on the back. "You're right! Good job hermosa." You glanced at him. This was not the time. He coughed.

"It's a good idea, however," Bruno looked at his hands. "What if that spark messes up my visions too? Then that would be of no help." You agreed. He was right. "Still, we could try!" Mirabel said. She was a ray of optimism in these times. Or maybe it was desperation.

"I agree with Mirabel. Bruno," Abuela put a hand on his shoulder as she spoke. "There's no harm in trying." He sighed. "Alright."

————

You, Camilo, Agustin, Abuela, Mirabel and Bruno were now standing in a sandy abyss. He calls this his room? Flowers lined the stone walls, beautiful vines dangling from the crevices. Isabela's handiwork. Speaking of, you remembered her arms. You hadn't seen her since that morning. You prayed nothing worse had happened.

"You're almost like a part of the family now." Camilo wrapped his arm around you. "I guess." You chuckle. "Also, we make a pretty good team." In all the chaos, you'd forgotten how pretty he was. You cleared your throat and looked away from his stare. "You just fell for me, didn't you?" You elbowed him, causing him to let his arm fall away from you. "Shut up."

Bruno cleared his throat. You quickly stopped your banter with the boy. Bruno took a deep breath. "You all might want to hold on to each other. It's a bumpy ride." You gulped. Hold.. on? Like hold Camilo's hand? He grabbed your hand without hesitation, then held Mirabel's one with the other.

It was almost hauntingly beautiful. The sight of the sand rise up into the air, circling around you and them, an eerie green glow infused with the grains of sand. Bruno's eyes glowed with the same hue. It became increasingly harder to stand still as wind blew. "I see something!" Agustin shouted.

A golden ball of light, giggling mischievously darted around in the sand. The sand was depicting the vision. "It's the spark!" Mirabel exclaimed. The spark chittered and darted around before darting downward. Bruno squinted. "It's going into the earth?!" You saw a few people following it, one of them being you.

"We're following it!" Camilo called out,"Wait.. what's Y/N doing?!" You saw yourself run over to the spark, catching it in your hands. Why didn't anyone tell you your eyes were two different sizes? Wait no.. What were you doing?!

"She's.. She's grabbing it in her hands!" Bruno cried out. "But it's still fire! She'll burn herself!" Abuela exclaimed. You looked on anxiously. Why on earth were you burning your hands?

Vision you continued to wrestle with the glowing spark in your hands, then you made a crushing motion. Your face contorted into one of pain. "I'm.. crushing the spark?" You unintentionally held Camilo's hand tighter. "What.."

The vision from there seemed to go by exceedingly fast, and then.. "It's all messing up! My gift!" Bruno frantically waved his arms. "It's not working!" With his arms outstretched, the sand rushed to his hands, producing a glass pane. Was it glass? Bruno fell back, holding the pane tightly. "Brunito," Abuela hurried to his side. "You did well, Brunito."

She helped him sit up against the wall. Mirabel took the glass pane and held it up for the rest to examine.