CHAPTER 5

"Pick the potatoes, airhead!"

I snapped my head to the voice, looking up at my friend who was a few meters to my right. I gave her a smile and squatted down and started picking potatoes again.

I remember the day we met... I was just tested to know what kind of powers I had. Weird how it depends on the color of the first clothing you ever wore in your first home. It's 'registered in your brain', I scoffed. It's not even something that depends on you. It's just your brain's 'significant color'. And there wasn't even a way to get any other powers, I rolled my eyes. 'YoU'rE aN aniMal, iF yOu liVe in a mOre isOlateD plaCe.' Although that explains why there aren't many of us... Every animal from around the world did gather here, in northern England though. Guess it's good to stick together.

I put a few more potatoes in my basket and looked back at Sabrina, my roommate and closest friend after William. Funny how we had no choice in everything. No choice of our roommate, no choice of where we will be placed, no choice of what powers we have...

---"Salyna, why are so many people going away?" I asked, looking around. "I know we all have powers so why can't we all stay together?"

"Because our powers are different," she explained.

"How so?" I asked, looking up at her.

"You are a wolf, correct?" she asked. I nodded. "Well there are, of course, other species of animals. Like William's sister is a rabbit. But some of us..." We looked around at the people leaving. "Some of us are not any animals. There are people who can control elements and matter, do technological stuff or mutate themselves."

I tilted my head. "What do those words mean?"

She chuckled. "You'll understand when you're older."---

I grinned bitter-sweetly. Stupid 9-year-old me. That was just the start anyway. The bunkers started running out of food and we had to live like the people in the stone age. We still use caves! And we barely had food during the first year, since we had to save something to put down on the fields-

A bell rang over the fields.

"Lunchtime!" Sabrina cheered.

I grinned too, putting down my basket to run after her. We got off of the wolves' field and united with all the other ones of our group. Which was mammals. Birds were a few kilometers away from where we were and fish had to be even further away to, well, survive. I don't know about the others though - they might as well be dead.

"Hey," William greeted, brown fluffy hair bouncing over his gray eyes.

"Sup," I greeted, getting in line to get the food. "How's farming?"

He chuckled, hearing the distaste in my voice. "Don't worry. As soon as we get it done, we don't have to do it for another year."

I rolled my eyes. "That's too enthusiastic."

He laughed, leaning against the wall to wait. I just looked around The Big Hall, jealous of the people who were in front of the line. The Big Hall was a big cave where all the mammals gathered to eat three times a day. Those were the only times I could really see William so I always made the most of it.

I took my food and went to our usual table, Sabrina already waiting there, blonde locks shining due to the sun coming from the entrance of the hall near the table. I sat down and blew on my fresh potatoes.

William also came to sit with us.

"It gets boring here," I commented.

"You don't say," Sabrina said, rolling her eyes. "I remember the times I could just watch TV all day."

I frowned. "I thought we agreed to not mention the old times."

She rolled her eyes again. "It's not like you weren't daydreaming about them just half an hour ago!"

I narrowed my eyes at her. That little piece of garbage-

"Hey, hey, Livy, calm down," William said before I could even open my mouth. "Let's enjoy living as what we are. We have superpowers, right? People back then could only dream of that. You don't have to be stuck in the past."

I scoffed. "Maybe I would let it go if Sabrina didn't bring up the TV every day!"

"Alright, I'm sorry!" she said, raising her hands. "Geez, no need to get so worked up about it."

I turned back to my food. I feel like Sabrina has something against me. We've been arguing more lately. But I have to maintain a decent friendship with her so there won't be problems about sharing our room.

"I really am sorry, Olivia," she said quietly. "But I miss my parents too. It's still hard to get used to the fact that we don't have all the things we used to."

I smiled softly. "It's okay." I forgive people too easily.

"Okay," William said awkwardly. "I better get going, don't wanna miss my training. I'll see you guys at dinner."

He stood up and rubbed pat my head a few times - a special sign of affection between us. It was a way to say 'bye' or 'hello'.

"Bye," I said, looking up at him.

"Bye," Sabrina said emotionlessly, not looking up from her food. I eyed her. Something's off about this.

I shook it off, finishing my food. "Come on, Sab. We have to train too."

"Don't call me that," she said, also standing up. "It makes it sound like my name's Sebastian or something."

I smirked, putting my stuff away and walking out. I know.