I.c

The next thing I knew, I threw myself towards her. I felt a searing pain in my shoulder as the bullet hit me, and fell to the ground below the platform. I crawled under a table, and tried to control my breathing. My stupid, stupid heart. It had just got me killed.

You'd imagine that the only thing I could possibly think about was the bullet wound in my left shoulder. Yet surprisingly, I barely felt it. Here I was, about to die, and the only thing I could think about was America. Despite the hurt and anger I had tried to put on top of it, I couldn't bury my love for her. I found myself thinking about how I would never stand in the aisle as America walked towards me. I wouldn't see her face in our children. We wouldn't grow old together. My heart squeezed again, this time filled with a different kind of ache. At least, I reminded myself, America would live. I didn't regret dying if it meant she'd be happy again one day.

Suddenly the table cloth lifted, revealing America's face. As soon as she saw me, tears filled her eyes. "Oh, Maxon!" she cried. She balled up the hem of her dress and pressed it into my shoulder, trying to stop the bleeding. The pressure brought the wound back to my attention, and I couldn't help but wince. "I'm so sorry," she said.

I took her hand. "No, I'm sorry. I was about to ruin both our lives."

America shook her head, still focusing on my shoulder. "Don't talk right now. Just focus, okay?" Her voice cracked at the end.

No. I needed her to look at me. I needed to tell her how I felt, even if it was the last thing I did. "Look at me, America."

She slowly lifted her gaze to mine. I smiled, the pain in my shoulder forgotten again. "Break my heart. Break it a thousand times if you like. It was only ever yours to break anyways."

"Shhh," America said.

"I'll love you until my very last breath. Every beat of my heart is yours. I don't want to die without you knowing that." It was very hard to speak clearly, and I felt myself getting lightheaded.

"Please don't," America said, starting to cry.

I raised my hand to her hair, trying to tell her something without words. America understood and pressed her lips to mine. It was every kiss we'd ever had. Filled with love and hope.

"Don't give up, Maxon," she said through her tears. "I love you, please don't give up."

I struggled to take a breath. The tablecloth lifted again. This time, it was Officer Leger who tucked himself under the table. America squealed in fright before realizing who it was.

"Kriss is in a safe room, Your Majesty," he said. "Your turn. Can you stand?"

I could feel the strength leaving my body. I shook my head. "A waste of time. Take her." I wanted America to be safe. I wanted her to be happy. I couldn't stand the thought of losing her, even though I would most likely die.

The guard protested. "But, Your Majesty-"

"That's an order," I said, trying to sound authoritative. We locked eyes, and it seemed as if we understood each other. I might be angry at him for what he did, but America was what was important right now, and we both knew that.

The guard nodded. "Yes, sir."

America resisted. "No, I won't go!" she said.

"You'll go," I said. I didn't have the energy to sound strong anymore.

"Come on, Mer. We'll have to hurry," the guard said, sounding worried.

"I'm not leaving!" America said.

Using every last ounce of strength I had, I clutched Officer Leger's uniform. "She lives. Do you understand me? Whatever it takes, she lives." The guard nodded again, and took America's arm, dragging her away.

"No!" she cried. "Maxon, please!"

"Be happy," I said, squeezing her hand. Now I really had no strength left, and I closed my eyes and tried to take my mind off the pain.

As I lay there, trying to control my breathing, I noticed that the shouts of the rebels seemed quieter. I wondered if they had moved from the Great Room to other areas of the palace. I felt myself fading as the tablecloth lifted for the third time. A Northern rebel ducked under the table. Upon seeing me, he yelled, "I've found him!" Then everything went black.