Chapter 1 - The Balladeer

"You needn't dwell on this occasion." Stated the frail woman, as I witnessed her vermilion lips caress her chalice, poured of a smooth essence of mead. "You are accepted in this family. You should not feel like a misfit now, Mona."

That was a lie. Every word that came out of her snobby mouth was a lie. In fact, her whole ancestry was a lie. Yet here I am, barely managing to put up with their corrupt nature. "Yes. Of course, Your Excellency. May I mind you that I feel perfectly fortunate to be acknowledged as apart of this family, even if it means marrying your son!" I sneered, a pinch of sarcasm coated on my words, also then relieved due to the fact the old hag hadn't caught on with the mockery in my words. "We are ever so glad to hear it, Megistus." Claimed her geezer of a husband, also known as the soon to be former duke.

I aggressively plunged my fork into the portion of Steak au poivre which was situated in front of me. While in the midst of grabbing my knife, I caught a glance of my 'fiancé', The Balladeer, who was seated horizontal to me, accompanied by two fine maids who stood behind both sides of his velvet-covered chair. He glared at me, almost in a threatening manner. Not many would know this by far, but I, Mona Megistus am a professional Astrologist who usually finds  it effortless to read the morals of others and their motives just by their demeanour.. yet I find it impractical to read this guy. What's with him?
I inquired to myself.

He was dressed in somewhat pleasing attire, consisting of cream-coloured and high waisted sailor pants, which tucked in a poet's shirt, tinted in white, as it's collar nuzzled around a pure-gold neck garment, scattered of purple amethyst stones, which provided contrast to his look. The colour purple symbolises the categories of Wisdom, Bravery, and Spirituality. I found that ironic because of the fact this man, no taller than 5'7, held such a transcendent colour in his eyes. His eye shon an iridescent lavender, coruscating as if the stars reflected on them. And his hair, short in height with an indigo complexion, covering his ears, and judging by his upper-half, I made the deduction that he owns a slender physique.. not to mention that he looks quite youthful in age.. so I'll thank god that my thoughtless father didn't ship me over to a middle-aged-man, or else I'd have gone nuts!

I'll admit. He was an OK looking guy, but the way he sulked at me like a toddler who'd just gotten force-fed broccoli made me want to grab the piece of steak in my plate and slap it onto his baby-face. Fortunately, I prevented these urges from misleading me into unpleasant conflict with this 5'7 delinquent.

"Cut it off, witch. Your strong gaze is weirding me out." Scaramouche demanded. "I'm quite aware that I have the physical beauty which most women would find up to satisfactory, but I'd rather have it be pleasant looking women look at me with such extent."

Woah. That was the first time I heard my FUTURE HUSBAND speak, and THAT'S the way he greets me?!