Preface: Part Two

"So, what brings you to Winnipeg?" Ondrej asked, taking a sip of his drink. Today was a mere two days before the first game of the season, and so Ondrej and I had decided to meet up before his schedule got too hectic.

"I honestly don't know," I started, shrugging my shoulders, "My friend, Nicola, and I decided we needed a change in scenery, and we decided on Winnipeg."

It was just pure fate that brought Ondrej and I together. Although I normally would never believe in that sort of BS, there was something telling me there was a reason behind Ondrej and I meeting like this. Nicola and I never had a real reason to come to Winnipeg, yet we still did.

What are the odds?

"Wait," He paused, "Nicola... Dankova?"

"Precisely."

"And you're Anna..."

"Mickova."

He took a deep breath in, indicating he had finally put the pieces together. I know he knew Nicola, because she's still dating his best friend.

"Anna!?" He cried, finally realizing who I was. After three hours, he finally realized.

"That's my name..."

We had been friends for almost our entire lives, and it only took him a mere three hours to remember me.

Could you sense the sarcasm?

"You... You look so different." Ondrej observed, sliding his hand closer to mine. Whether it was unintentional, I will never know.

"I missed you so much, Anna."

I looked down at the ground, then, hoping he wouldn't notice me blushing.

"I missed you, too, Ondrej," I confessed, "I've gotta be honest with you. At first, I had no idea where Nicola was taking me, and I really didn't want to go, wherever it was."

"But, when I realized it was to you, I was the happiest I've been in awhile."

He chuckled, and ran a hand down my cheek. As long as I could remember, he was always the flirty type. Although, he never expressed these feelings to me before. I still wasn't convinced, though, considering he had a few drinks earlier.

"I never thought I'd ever see you again," he sighed, moving his gaze from my eyes, to the floor instantly. "I think the reason it took me so long to recognize you, was because I was in denial that it was actually you..."

"You don't have to deny it anymore," I interrupted, coming off more flirty than I intended. "Because I'm here."

"And, I have one request."

"What's that?"

"I want to spend twelve days with you, Ondrej," I started, searching his beautiful blue eyes, "Whether or not you want me back in your life, all I want is twelve days with you..."

He pulled me close, then, enveloping me into a tight hug. I dug my face into his chest, taking in some of his cologne. In fact, it was the same cologne he wore in high school.

Turns out, Ondrej hadn't changed as much as I first thought.

"You know, this has been the best night I've had since I got to Winnipeg." He said, as we broke apart. I rested my chin upon his chest, so I could look into his eyes.

"Same here." I smiled, "If it weren't for us deciding to come to Winnipeg, I would've never known where you were, seeing as how I'd sworn off hockey, and-"

"Wait, you did what-"

I had shut him up quickly, so I pressed my lips to his roughly, running my hands through the hairs on the back of his neck. He quickly placed his drink on the bar, and rested both hands on my hips.

It was awkward at first, which is why I had quickly pulled away.

"I'm so, so sorry, Ondra," I whispered, at a loss for words, "I-I..." Without another word, I stormed out the building.

Just as I was about to climb into a nearby taxi, something stopped me.

More like someone.

The tug on my wrist brought my attention to the distraught man behind me. His eyes full of sadness, he scanned my face for a moment, then waved the taxi away.

"Sorry for what, exactly?" He asked. I watched as the cold air escaped his lips in a cloud of fog. "You can't just kiss me, then leave right after."

"I shouldn't have. Really-"

I was interrupted mid-sentence by Ondrej, pressing his lips to mine softly. His hands cupped my face, causing his gloves to tickle my cheeks. I just stood there, still and quiet.

"I've waited years for that kiss..." Ondrej confessed, pressing his forehead to mine. A small smile formed across my lips. I tried biting my bottom lip to keep it away, but I couldn't help it.

"Me too, Ondra."

Once again, he hugged me. This time, it was different. There was something different about this hug.

"I love you," I confessed, breathless, "Goddammit, Ondrej, I've waited years to tell you that. I love you."

At first, he seemed a little taken back, but eventually, a smile broke out across his face.

"You know," he started, pulling me closer, "I was a fool not to tell you before I left for North America, because, whether or not you believe me, I really, truly have loved you since I laid eyes on you."

"I was just too scared."

"Scared of what?" I asked, nervous as to what he was about to say.

"I was scared you wouldn't feel the same."

I pressed my lips to his this time, cutting him off. "We don't have to worry about that, now, do we?"

He shook his head, as a small smile formed in the corner of his mouth.

"I love you, and you love me," he confirmed, stroking my cheek with the back of his hand, "That's all that matters, right?"

I nodded once.

At that time, the crowd of people at the bar just seemed to disappear suddenly. It was as if Ondrej and I were the only two people in the building. The moment had been so magical, that it didn't even bother me that our PDA's were catching the attention of disapproving elders, sipping from their wine glasses.

What are they doing in a nightclub, anyways?

"Goddammit, Ondrej," I whispered in his ear, "I want to be with you, and only you, for the rest of my life."

He placed a kiss on my cheek, then.

"There's nowhere else I'd rather be, darling." He said, "I can't wait to spend these next twelve days with you."

"...And forever more."

--

Short chapter, but this is where the story begins to unravel more. Stay with me!