Chapter 9

Mich's POV

I am sitting here quietly, patiently while waiting for our prof when someone I don't know, sat beside me, started talking.

"Here we go. Im not usually a first row kind of guy, but I promised myself I wouldn't hide in the back of the class."

"Shut up. I am not interested."

"Oh. Oh, no! I wasn't hitting on —-"

"Seats are assigned. Tignan mo dun sa harapan."

Oh, thank gods.

"Hi there."

"What are you still doing here?"

"You told me to check the assigned seats, and I did, so here I am!"

"You're my seatmate for the rest of the semester?!"

"Uh-huh."

"Ah jeeez!"

"Hey —-"

"At wag mo na akong kausapin. The prof's coming."

"Yeah, heard she's a shooter? I mean, what does that even mean?"

"My god, you have no idea what you just walked into."

I said while i facepalmed myself for this clueless seatmate I have. As I was about to say something to him,

"Goodmorning!"

Holy Hephaestus!

I immediately sat up straight.

"I don't know what terrible things you have done in your life up to this point but clearly your karma's out of balance to get assigned to my class."

"Oh God...."

I almost chuckled after hearing him say that. Like seriously? He had no idea? 

"I'm Professor Laurel Lance..."

Heard she's the most terror prof in the university,

"and this is criminal law 101..."

Now officially, I am in hell.

"Okay. This subject is not all about me teaching you how to study law or theorize about it but instead i would teach you on how to practice it. Like a real lawyer. A lawyer in a court room."

"Oh my god."

"Shut up, will you?"

"Sorry."

Now, our first case study.  The Aspirrin Assassin. Tell us the facts — Barry Allen."

"The Commonwealth versus Helena Merlyn was a case of attempted murder. The defendant worked as a assistant secretary of Mr. Walsh, but she was also his mistress."

"What happened after Mr. Walsh's wife found out about the affair? Mr. Cuerva."

"He ended the relationship and tranferred her to another department. That's when she allegedly switched one of his blood-pressure pills for an aspirin. Which she knew she was allergic to."

"What occured when Mr. Walsh ingested the aspirin? Anyone?"

Everyone raised their hands. Everyone, except my seatmate.

Gahd. Clueless idiot.

"Okay, you. Miss Morente."

"He went into anaphylactic  shock. His throat swelled and his brain was deprived of oxygen for a couple of minutes before his new assistant  was able to resuscitate him."

"So we've established the actus reus. What was the mens rea? Rex Intal."

"Jesus, help."

I heard him whisper to himself before standing up.

"Ah the... mens rea? Uhm."

"Day 1, Mr. Intal and hindi ka prepared?"

"Hindi Prof. Well, yes. I hindi ko alam na there's anything to prepare."

"I e-mailed the assignment to the entire class  two days ago."

"I didn't get that, sorry."

"Mr. Intal as a defense attorney, I spent ost of my time around professional liars, so you have to work really hard to fool me." 

I don't know what has gotten into me but I helped him out.

"Ma'am, actus reus means guilty act, the poisining of Mr. Walsh with an aspirin whereas mens rea means guilty mind."

"So, you're trying to prove yourself on a first day of class huh, Miss Morente?"

"No ma'am, Im just helping —-"

"What was Ms. Merlyn's mens rea Miss Morente?"

"To kill Mr. Walsh, professor."

"Right. But Miss Morente, never take a learning opportunity away from another student, no matter how smart you need everyone you think you are."

"Sorry, ma'am."

"No, I am sorry ma'am. She's just helping me out. It's my fault."

"I don't care Mr. Intal. Tomorrow, we'll figure out why was the verdict's name wasn't listed there. So the question is, did she do it? Figure it out. Class dismissed."

"Sorry, Mich."

"No, its okay. It is my fault, too."

"No, its my fault. If I just —"

"Oh come on, stop. Its done na."

"Come on, i'll libre you nalang. Pambawi after Miss Lance howled at you."

"Yes, Mr. Intal?"

"Oh, ah Proffesor, nothing ma'am. Sorry."

"Miss Morente, sorry about awhile ago and I appreciate your willingness to help but you can't do that in a courtroom."

"Yes, ma'am."

"Okay, good day."

"Wew. Can't believe what i've gotten myself into."

"Well, welcome to hell, brother."

(A/N: HTGAWM babyyyyy :)))