2 Days Before I Died

"Ms. Goldheart?"

My eyes slowly peeled open to see a familiar nurse smiling softly at me from beside my bed.

"Hi, dear. First, can you wiggle your fingers for me?" I did so easily, relieved that I felt a little stronger than I had before. "Perfect." Stella smiled. "How are you feeling? Any new pain?"

"Just my stomach." I croaked, slowly raising my hand to rest over my belly button.

She nodded, her calm nature relaxing me as she scribbled some words down on a clipboard. "As expected. You scared us yesterday, but I'm glad to see you're feeling better." She smiled as she stood from her seat. "Your family is waiting just outside. I'll send them in and Doctor Parks will be in shortly."

I nodded weakly. "Thank you."

The second she left, my parents and brother came charging in.

"Oh, my baby!" My mother wailed, clinging to my hand when she reached my side and falling to her knees. "I'm so sorry baby," She cried, tears streaming down her face as she held my hand to her cheek. "You don't deserve any of this!"

Her words brought me back to the day I told Keegan I was dying.

"It's not fair! You don't deserve that! You don't deserve any of this!"

They were right. I don't deserve it. But it's still happening. And the more apparent it became that I was dying very soon, the more I realized no matter how much I said I wasn't - I truly was scared.

I was at death's door, my hand raised to knock on the fraying wood. Damien would be waiting just on the other side with that terrifyingly cynical grin. And I was scared.

My eyes stared blankly ahead, barely acknowledging my family's presence as they continued to cry for me. I couldn't bring myself to look at them. To see their pain. To see my pain reflected in their eyes. It hurt to see my mother scream in agony for the child she birthed. It hurt to see my father and brother cry. Two grown men, who I only knew as the strongest figures in my life, brought to tears by my illness. I wanted it to end.

Doctor Parks entering the room caught everyone's attention, my family hesitantly stepping away from me to give him space.

He stood at the end of my bed, his arms crossed over his chest as he observed me with a concerned expression. After a moment, he glanced toward my family before lifting up his clipboard.

"We did a biopsy yesterday, just to check how far the cancer has progressed as of now. The results should be ready by this afternoon, but as we've mentioned before, it will most likely not be good news." My mother sniffled loudly and Dad wrapped his arm around her, pulling her into his side. Pete only stared at the floor in barely disguised anguish.

"Even with the current diagnosis, we are doing absolutely everything in our power to help." Parks spoke almost robotically, as if he'd said this line a million times. He gestured to the tube that ran up into my nose. "We've got you hooked up to oxygen and also an IV to ensure you don't get dehydrated and to lessen the pain a bit. Once we get the results, I'll be back to discuss–"

"Doctor Parks." A different nurse suddenly called, pushing open the door with haste. Parks spun around, watching her in confusion. "I'm sorry to interrupt but– we need you to look at something."

Parks lifted his chin in her direction before nodding at us and ducking out of the room.

What was that about?

                                                                                                   ✿

After a lot of arguing, I successfully convinced my family to go have lunch - mostly for my benefit. I felt like I was suffocating, having all of them in that tiny room with me. I felt like a terrible person, having only a couple days left to my life, yet pushing my family away like we had all the time in the world.

I leaned back in my bed, resting my eyes and trying not to think about the IV needle currently stuck in the crook of my arm. Hearing slight movement, I slowly opened my eyes.

"Aiden."

He smiled casually from the chair in the corner. "Howdy."

"Where have you been? I was calling for you the other day." I reprimanded, glaring in his direction.

Aiden only tilted his head, his smile not leaving his face. "I was busy."

My eyebrows furrowed. Was he also helping other patients besides me?

"Busy with what–"

For the third time today, the door to my room busted open. This time, it was a frazzled looking Doctor Parks. His salt and pepper hair was pushed back messily, as if he had been running his hands through it. He breathed harshly, as if he'd run at full sprint to get here.

"Parks?" I asked.

He only stared wide-eyed at me, his mouth agape. "It's gone."

I raised an eyebrow, noticing the smug look on Aiden's face from the corner of my eye. "What's gone?"

Parks ran a hand through his hair once more, gripping a piece of paper so tightly I was afraid it might rip. "It doesn't make sense." He spoke, mostly to himself. "Eighty-nine percent of an aggressive cancer, gone overnight. It doesn't make sense!"

I sat up in shock. "Eighty-nine percent of who's cancer? Because it surely isn't mine!"

Parks looked back up at me, an expression of pure astonishment on his face. "Yours."

My heart dropped to my stomach, my shocked gaze moving from Parks, to his son. "Did you–?"

"What can I say? I'm a miracle worker."

Parks stared confusedly at me, glancing towards the corner I was looking at before turning me to again. "Athena?"

I took a deep breath. "Your son is a miracle worker, Doctor Parks." Repeating his son's words, a soft smile on my face.

His focus moved back towards the corner, seemingly looking at nothing but thin air. Parks may have told me he didn't believe me before, but I had a feeling he may be inclined to now. He stood silent for several moments, just staring as he willed himself to be able to see what I was seeing, but obviously failing to do so. Aiden only stared back at his father stoically.

Finally Parks met my gaze again. "We can operate, Athena."

"Operate?"

"We have a chance to remove what is left of your cancer." He spoke determinedly. "We can save you."