Devil May Cry 2 Chapter 1 - The Guardians of Marli

Devil May Cry 2

Seven years since the fall of Mundus, the world had been quiet. Rarely a demon would sneak through the realms, but the humans were relatively safe from the forces of the Underworld.

Vergil stood atop the clock tower of Dumary, looking out over the ocean. The sunrise painted the ancient city red and reflected warmly against the ocean. From here, you could see its history written in the battlements and towers. Carved into the rocks, it had been a constant battlefield for generations against the demons. The entire island of Vie de Marli had been a history of blood and pain, only having known peace since Mundus's fall at the hands of Sparda.

In his youth, Vergil had traveled seeking out his father's history and this was one of the many stops. The clan known as the Guardians of Marli had been led by Sparda in the time of darkness, serving as his knights and teaching them in the ways of magic. In his stead, they protected mankind as their numbers dwindled.

It was much to Vergil's surprise when a letter made its way to him. It was old parchment paper and sealed with the Marli crest.

Vergil Son of Sparda, the Guardians of Marli seek your aid in these dark times.

Only myself and my daughter are left to defend against the ancient enemy. The youth face corruption, the old die out and Argosax the orginal king of Hell seeks to resurrection.

In your possession is a coin, a relic of your father. This is an item of great importance and the fate of mankind may reside in its protection.

I dare not share more in this letter, but I know your father's valiant blood flows in your veins and will lead you to us. Please do not forsake old allies.

Matier de Marli

Between his finger, the coin turned. A male and female angel joined at the shoulder, both reaching out was engraved upon it. With a quick motion, he slipped it in his coat.

Leaping off the tower, Vergil twisted midair. For a moment he saw sky and ocean, a peach, red and purple spiral of colors. Descending countless stories, his boots met the ground. The bricks cracked, dust flying up around him.

There was only the wind to great him. Vergil straightened and listened, the old building deathly still. Not a peek from a window, no whispers or hustling away. Years ago, there had been crowds and markets here. The youth had flocked to the great modern city to the east, but only the rich could afford such privilege. Now as Vergil walked down a narrow alley, he saw no sign of human life.

Not thrilled at the prospect of searching every building for this Matier, Vergil turned and caught sight of large knife stabbed into a door. Around it's handle was a blue ribbon that blew in the wind consciously. Vergil stepped up, pulling the weapon out and pushing open the door.

Peering inside, the building was empty. No signs of people, no furniture, nothing. Vergil passed through the back. No blood, no bodies, no sign of a struggle.

Outside the back was a large metal gate. Around one of the iron spikes, there was another blue ribbon. Running his hand down it, Vergil opened the gate and heard the faintest footstep. Timed with the wail of the rusted metal, he was met with dead silence after.

The faintest smile touched his lips, he leapt up onto the wall above and began walking along the ocean. Ahead another ribbon blew against the sunset on a light post. Someone was not only following him but guiding Vergil somewhere. Unphased, he followed the path. No more ribbons in view for now, but he could see large dark hanging shapes ahead.